Importing custom animations from other 3D applications/software into ArcPro, ArcScene, ArcGlobe, ArcGIS Online?

05-10-2019 07:32 AM
RPGIS
by
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I was wondering, just out of curiosity, if it was possible to import animations that are created in other 3D applications like Microstation into ArcPro or any of the other GIS Applications. The reason being is that I am working on a project in Microstation and I there are animations that I would like to import into ArcPro or any of the other GIS applications so that way I can eventually create a service that incorporates the animations.

The other type of animation/analysis comes from another application called Flow3D that I would also like to incorporate.

If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Robert.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Robert,

Unfortunately, the ArcGIS Pro Animation tools only currently supports camera related animation.  I will forward the inquiry about this to our development team.  It looks like Microstation supports both DAE and FBX, so there could be some potential expanding DAE for ArcGIS Pro in the future.  I'm not very familar with Flow 3D's export capability of animation.  

The only suggestion I have currently is using the Animated Symbols addin.  The Addin is designed to replace a point feature with an animated symbol.  But it could potentially work for anything.  The Addin works similar to the concept behind "Animated Cache (like Alembic)".  Essentially you 1. bake (per frame export of your geometry) 2. absorb the baked geometry into a range slider 3. The range slider then animates the per frame geometry like a flip-book; turn each on and off per frame.  Now I will admit, this is tedious, but it's the only way I know of to absorb animation from other packages.

The Addin can be found in this YouTube video description:

Animated Symbology: Animate Windmills, Pointing Arrows, Pulses, and more in ArcGIS Pro - YouTube 

or direct link here:

https://arcg.is/1uuPne

And a blog to read more about this workflow:

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-pro/mapping/new-animated-symbols-add-in-available-f...

Hope this helps in some way, Steve

0 Kudos
RPGIS
by

Thanks Stephen.

I was simply curious about the ability to create complex animations that could be used online. I was intrigued by the animated windmills and thought about other possibilities with the animated symbology. It does look like a tedious process to create the animations, but I think that if the boundaries on this could be pushed, it would create more opportunities in terms of advancements in this direction. I will keep checking this to see what other possible solutions may exist.

On another note. Do you know if it is also possible to incorporate 3D Animations created in Blender. I was looking at some examples in the software about creating water animations and I think that there is a way for me to do it, but like you said, the process would be extremely tedious but otherwise possible. I will keep researching this to see what direction I would need to take.

If you have any other ideas or hints that may help me in this endeavor I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Robert

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Robert,

In my opinion, pushing 3D data into Pro's environment is tricky, and we will work on this in the future.  I personally believe it should be easier.  Yes, Blender could  be used.  I've used Maya fluid system to generate a water simulation before and import it.  The main catch will be load time and ability to cache a complex system like simulation as it pushes into Pro.  If you'll be using the Plugin I suggested, it will load each geometry slice in as a frame.  Although, it could be done in increments and pieced together later too (say 30 frames at a time).  So yes you can use Blender.  You would create your animation with any of the Blender tools that output geometry and then bake it per frame.  When I did this with Maya, I wrote a short python script to push each frame out in a DAE.  And I'm very sure Blender has this capability too.

The second catch, if your using the plugin, is the point symbol transformation.  You will need to make precise plans for it's position and orientation to match with the terrain topology; if necessary.

Lastly, there is another way.  You could composite two resulting images/movies together.  This is tricky though, and I can explain it further via email if you would like.  Feel free to reach out to me for an explanation: sheidelberg@esri.com

-Steve

0 Kudos
RPGIS
by

Hi Stephen,

I am looking to simulate water flow in pipes which sounds like I am really pushing the envelope on this, but I have always been wanting to push what I know as well as what understand, and mostly explore areas that few people have. Coming up with something complex and innovative is always tricky, but I can't help challenging myself and seeing whether or not there is an end or if simply opens up other opportunities.

-Robert

0 Kudos