How long for Add surface area tool to work?

09-09-2019 09:10 AM
ScottWagoner
New Contributor III

I am trying to add surface area to a polygon layer using the Add Surface Layer tool.. Both the polygon and DEM I want to use are in the same coordinate system.  The DEM's I am using are very dense (each cell size is 1.5 inches).   The tool seems to be taking an awful long time to run (or won't run at all). 

About the DEM's: 

I have them (about 250) split up according to the National Grid for ease of recognition.  Some of my polygons cross over.  So I created a Mosaic of them.  

Here is what have tried: 

• If I run the DEM from a raster mosaic, it freezes at about 2%. 
  • If I export the DEM as an image and use that, I get a little further along to 11%.  
  • I got it to work when I used only 1 section, used a single DEM from just that area, changed the sample distance from 1 to 1,000.  The issue was this got me to 100%, but it didn't finish for another 3-5 minutes.
  • I thought python might be faster, so I took the one that worked and put it in a script, that froze up.

In total I have about 230 miles of polygons to find their surface area, so I need something that at least shows consist results.

Is this usual for the tool?

Am I using the tool wrong

Is there another way to get a 3D surface area that might work better?

I have the rasters as mosaic, .asc in a geodatabase, and as individual .asc files.  Does one work better than another?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

How long it takes is dependent on how much your doing.  In your case I would believe your having lack of memory issues.   This is an operation that is going to demand RAM and CPU power. But mostly RAM.  If you have 4GB of ram I would say that is your problem. If you only have 8 GB it could be your problem. 

Also, check your HDD space.  If you have less than 15% remaining that could  be an issue. Free up some space, run disk clean up, and defragment. 

Also, if your trying to do it over a network bandwidth could be your downfall.  Try loading all data on your person computer.  We had similar issues on our network before we upgraded it. 

0 Kudos
ScottWagoner
New Contributor III

Thanks for the ideas.  I will try to move it off of the network, and onto a 1tb internal ssd that really has nothing on it and see if that helps. 

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

and see how much ram you have.

If it still give you issues you can also go to your startup tasks and address any issue that are there.  And I don't really know why it does, perhaps because it takes up cache space, is clear your browser history's 

Now that I mention it, try clearing out your CACHE for ArcMap/Pro

0 Kudos