How Do I: Drape an aerial photo over DEM

05-07-2013 03:18 AM
larrysmiley
New Contributor
Help
New enough to ARC GIS that I do not know how to do this.  I have 10.1 Desktop.  Trying to take county level or smaller aerials from NAIP color photos and drape over Raster DEM from NationalMap to get 3D look. Scene? Globe?  Step by step would be appreciated
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
Here is the help on how to drape a raster on a custom surface.
0 Kudos
larrysmiley
New Contributor
jbswain

Thanks for your reply yesterday.  I still could not get it to work in Scene....BUT what I want to do works in Globe. 

My problem in Scene was that when I went to Add Data it would not allow me to add the NAIP color aerials, but instead came up with the icon for "clear selected features" (small square with what looks like an envelope closure line waving through it)

Then in Scene I thought to go to Add Data and try the Add Basemap (from ESRI)...AHA....not available, nor is the Add Data From
ArcGIS Online, only offers Add XY Data.  Scene allows me to add my other layers just as ArcMap and ArcGlobe do, but not my aerial
maps

Globe allows me to get the look I want, BUT cant use 3D Analyst bar for doing Line Of Sight

Why cant I add aerials to Scene??

Help please
0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
Can you send a screen shot of the icon you are getting with your Naip Aerials?  As long as it is not a mosaic dataset I think you should be able to add any of the supported raster formats.  Normally NAIP comes in sid format.  What happens when you try to add your NAIP to ArcMap?  Will it add?
0 Kudos
larrysmiley
New Contributor
Not sure how to send a screen shot from ArcGIS
BUT
the icon I am talking about is always in the same place in Arc MAP, to the LEFT of the icon on the tool bar that is the
"Select Elements" ARROW (that points to the upper left) (northwest)) and is called "Clear Selected Features"

In Arc Map I can always add the aerials through Add Data/Add Data/GIS Servers/ then the specific state/county GIS servers
below that.

But in Scene, as I drill down past GIS Servers to the actual map I want, it displays the "Clear Selected Features" icon discussed
above and wont allow me to add the map to layers.

If you can tell me how to do the screen shots I would be happy to do so.  In the alternative I would appreciate a call to discuss
the situation.  Part of the issue is that ESRI has not added tutorials for to 3D Analyst to ArcGis 10.1 where I might stand a chance of figuring it out myself....this is TREMENDOUSLY difficult software to figure out on my own.....

C'mon...help me out

Larry
612-750-4356
0 Kudos
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
ArcScene doesn't support ArcGIS Server services.  See Functional differences between ArcGlobe and ArcScene.

Best,
Eric
0 Kudos
LeslieSarapu1
New Contributor
A further question in regards to the original:

In ArcMap, how can you drape a raster image over a DEM layer to create a 3D looking surface? On a side note, I do not have access to the ArcToolbox.
0 Kudos
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor
I don't believe that can be done in ArcMap, only in ArcScene or ArcGlobe.

See jbswain's post about how to do so in either of those two programs.  Usually the only way to get a 3-D look in ArcMap is if you have a hillshade layer under imagery, can give it a 3-D appearence.
0 Kudos