Extracting Values to Points Using Multiple Rasters

03-02-2011 07:07 AM
DanielLupton
New Contributor
Hello,
    I am trying to create a stratigraphic cross section for multiple dip lines using 9 different raster datasets representing the 9 geologic layers that i am sampling from and 1 point shapefile that is the dip line converted into points spaced every x2 miles. My issue arrises when I create a model using model builder to do multiple rasters using the same shapefile. When the new column is created it is save in as "RasterValue". This trips the model up when it tries to extract values for the second raster in the series.
    My question is what would a python script look like that would go in after i extract the values and change the name of the column value from "RasterValue" to the name of the name of the geologic layer? i would ideally like to do all of this using Python. Thanks for your help.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
JeffVillepique
New Contributor
I too have many rasters (~45) for which I need to extract values to a point shape file.  Any suggestions, Python or otherwise would be most welcome.  Thanks.
0 Kudos
KristianKjeldsen
New Contributor
Hi,

Using the tool "Extract multi values to points" in the Spatial Analyst toolbox i ArcGIS 10 would do the trick, and you can name each column as you like.

Best regards,

Kristian
0 Kudos
PattiHaggerty
New Contributor III
I often want to do multiple raster/point overlays and have had terrible problems with the multi raster tool crashing almost every iteration. I am also trying to write a python script that would write the output to a new field in the original FC and keep running into problems with selection clauses and schema locks. This seems so basic!  A good example of a working python routine would be so helpful, if the Arc 10 tools are not working as advertised.
0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
There are issues with the Extract Multi Values to Point tool that are reported as bug behavior and addressed at a future release. 

Also regarding other tools that may work, the Add Surface Information tool in 3d Analyst may also achieve what you are looking for.
0 Kudos
JamesMawby
New Contributor
I often want to do multiple raster/point overlays and have had terrible problems with the multi raster tool crashing almost every iteration. I am also trying to write a python script that would write the output to a new field in the original FC and keep running into problems with selection clauses and schema locks. This seems so basic!  A good example of a working python routine would be so helpful, if the Arc 10 tools are not working as advertised.

It seems that Extract Multi Values to Points wants to crash when the point layer input is 'multipoint' as opposed to 'point'.
0 Kudos
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
James,

Multipoint input is not a supported input type per the tool documentation, so you can't use that anyway.  Regardless, if I can reproduce, I will submit a bug for the crash.  The tool should validate that the input is incorrect.

Best,
Eric
0 Kudos
AdrianRingenbach1
New Contributor III
Hi there,

I have got aswell some problems with the Extract multi values to point tool. I exported the pythonscript of the tool and expanded it up to 72 inputlayers. Like that, it crashed. When I alter it in the manner, that just 3 Layers should be evaluated, it worked fine. So i ask myself: is there a maximum number of attachable layers to this tool? If so: How many?

Thanks Cheers!
0 Kudos
AdrianRingenbach1
New Contributor III
I tested it empirically. The solution is 3 layers can be input in a single query, but you can list many query in a row...
0 Kudos