Add-In for Assigning measures based on XYZ coordinates in a Projected layer

12-09-2013 10:57 AM
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
I had posted an Add-In to the Gallery that was supposed to create 3D length measures on a Linear Referenced Route that was Z aware.  Unfortunately, I had attempted to include code to filter the layer list to only show those layers that would be editable, and that code did not work properly on systems other than my own.  I have removed this validation check, so it is on the user to be sure they have edit rights before attempting to assign 3D measures using this tool.

Since I cannot update the gallery I am posting the Add-In here.  It is compiled for ArcGIS 10.1, and I do not know if it will work in 10.0 or 10.2.

Here are the basic installation instructions.  After downloading the Add-In double click it to install it and make it available to ArcMap.  In Desktop open the Customize | Extensions... menu dialog, check the extension called Measures to 3D/2D, and close the dialog.  In Desktop open the Customize | Customize Mode... menu dialog and click on the Commands tab.  In the list of Categories scroll down until you see a category named "Measures to 3D/2D Lengths" and click that category.  In the commands list box you will see a tool named Measures to 3D/2D....  Click and drag this tool on to one of your toolbars and drop it onto the toolbar.  Close the Customize dialog.

Now you should be able to click the Measures to 3D/2D Lengths tool button to open a panel for configuring and using the tool.  If you have at least one projected polyline layer in your map that is M and Z aware, it should appear in the list of layers.  The tool lets you specify a multiplier for unit conversions.  A unit calculator detects your current XY projected units and can assist you to find the conversion factor you should input to achieve a particular measure unit conversion (for example to convert from US Feet to Meters the calculator displays a conversion factor of 0.304800609601219).  You can optionally specify a Measure offset for your first measure, ignore or take into account measure gaps, make the measures go with or against the digitized direction, and respect or not respect a selection of routes to operate on.

If further explanation is needed post your questions or comments here.
11 Replies
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
If you have downloaded the Add-In contained in this thread and used it let me know if it successfully listed your Route features and updated the 3D measures or if you had any problems getting it to work.
0 Kudos
AmranOthman
New Contributor
If you have downloaded the Add-In contained in this thread and used it let me know if it successfully listed your Route features and updated the 3D measures or if you had any problems getting it to work.

Hello Richard,

It is working on my machine+ArcGIS 10.1! Superb..

Thanks so much

Amran
0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
Just wanted to mention that now that I have upgraded I can confirm that the attached Add-in tied to my first post does work for ArcGIS 10.2 in addition to ArcGIS 10.1.
GastonIzaguirre
New Contributor III

Hi Richard,

Thanks for sharing this useful tool!

I have a question, there is a version for ArcGIS 10.0?

Regards,

Gastón.

0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor

There probably could be a 10.0 version if I was able to compile it on a machine with ArcGIS 10.0 installed, However, no one has that version where I work now, and I don't have administrator rights to install it myself.  I don't have a good case to ask IT to install if for me that relates to my work.

If you can upgrade to 10.1 or 10.2 I think it is very much worth it.  Either of those versions is much more stable and has much better performance than 10.0.

GastonIzaguirre
New Contributor III

Thank you very much for your answer. Yes, I need to upgrade my ArcGIS!

0 Kudos
forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

Is has this been updated for 10.3? 

0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor

The addin attached to this reply as been built to work with ArcMap 10.3.  I have left the attachment to the original post as the version compiled to work with ArcMap versions 10.0 to 10.2.  If you have found this addin useful let me know or give this post a like.

KevinMiller7
New Contributor

Hi Richard,

I am running 10.3.1 and every time I click on the icon to open the tool my arcmap crashes. Have you experienced this before? Any suggestions?

-Kevin

0 Kudos