3d Analyst Tools cause ArcMap crash (ArcGIS 9.2)

02-11-2011 12:14 AM
EdRollason
New Contributor
Recently my version of ArcMap 9.2 (with 3d Analyst & Spatial Analyst extensions) has become quite unstable.  When I attempt to use tools such as interpolate line and contour ArcMap begins to process but then freezes and crashes with a "ArcGIS has encountered a problem as is forced to close.." error message.  The size of the grid does not appear to be a factor as this occurs even with very small grids.

This problem has occurred recently and without any other changes being made to the hardware or software of the computer.  Has anyone else had a similar issue with this abd been able to fix without doing a complete re-install (which is my next option)? 

Cheers

Ed
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
EdRollason
New Contributor
I have now discovered that this is not an issue relating only to 3d analyst.  Attempting to draw or select a graphic line or polygon (graphics not featureclass elements) causes an instant crash with no error message.

Anyone...?
0 Kudos
MaazaouiKatrin
New Contributor
Same problem in ArcMap10. Did you find out anything?

I'm going mad here..
0 Kudos
TedCisine
New Contributor II
Same here in both 9.3.1 and 10.  I can get it to work with a large contour interval but smaller ones crash ArcMap
0 Kudos
EdRollason
New Contributor
Hi guys,

Only just noticed that this thread had replies!

I managed to solve this issue in Arc9.2 by carrying out a complete clean reinstall.  This solved the issues relating to 3D analyst, however issues with graphs remained.  I solved these by  deleting the Normal template and getting ArcMap to reconstruct it, this seemed to solve this one.

I can't comment on what might help 9.3 or 10 users I'm afraid, still stuck in the dark ages! 😄

Ed
0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
There are steps for a complete uninstall that Esri Support can walk you through rather than just trying uninstall the software.  Depending on the situation, there can be 3rd party extensions that can cause the issues you are describing as well as the normal Windows related problems that can seem to randomly occur.  I would recommend contacting Support and describe the problem.  They should be able to determine if it is in fact necessary to perform the complete uninstall/reinstall or they could test it to see if it is workflow/data related.
0 Kudos