Splitting Multipatch 3D Features in a Scene

11-26-2019 04:47 AM
DaveNuhn
New Contributor III

I have been tasked with placing images on multipatch surfaces within Arc Pro (2.3) and I am running into some issues. The multipatch 3D layer was created in AutoCAD and brought into Arc Pro. The issues are listed below:

1.) When placing a multipatch texture, the image is reversed on the surface but not in the modify>multipatch texture pane. My way around this is adding the image again and it is then displayed correctly. Am I missing something on the initial adding of the image for it to display right the first time?

2.) I would like to split or merge some of the multipatch surfaces but when I click modify and select the desired tool, I am not able to select any surfaces. Some functions under modify seem to work, like Multipatch Texture and Vertices but the ones I need do not (Merge, Split, Divide). Maybe I am missing something simple? 

Any information regarding these issues would be much appreciated.  

0 Kudos
4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Dave Nuhn

Just came across your post. If the issue isn’t solved yet, I may offer a couple of recommendations. Regarding the issue with the texture, when you say “the image is reversed on the surface”, does it mean it’s kinda “looking inwards”? If so, it might mean that the face (the side of the model to which it’s applied) is inversed – i.e. it’s facing the interior of the model, rather than the exterior. If that makes sense…

Couple of things:
1. If you have SketchUp, import your model (you might need to convert your multipatch to Collada or KML/KMZ i.e. using Multipatch to Collada). In SketchUp, explode the model and r-click on the face (side) where the texture is showing incorrectly > reverse faces. Bring it back to Pro and check if that helped.

2. Do you have CityEngine? I noticed that it’s excellent at fixing issues with multipatches. Specifically, the cleanup faces tool: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/cityengine/latest/help/help-cleanup-shapes.htm Worth getting a trial.
Also, there are several bugs reported for v 2.2 – 2.3 related to multipatch texturing. For example, this one:

https://support.esri.com/en/bugs/nimbus/QlVHLTAwMDEyMTM0NA==

Regarding the split/Merge/Divide, there can be some issues with the geometry (maybe). Try running the Enclose Multipatch tool then try editing again: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/tool-reference/3d-analyst/enclose-multipatch.htm

Also, it’s worth updating to PRO2.5 if you can. I noticed that 3D editing works better in it.

Hope this helps!

DaveNuhn
New Contributor III

Ivan

Thanks for the response! Your description is accurate as to why the image is reversed and we are currently looking into acquiring SketchUp to test this out. Currently we are waiting to make the switch to Pro 2.5. I have a feeling upgrading to 2.5 and utilizing SketchUp will solve my problems. Once again, thank you for the information. I will try to update you once things get moving.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Dave,

Try the free Sketchup Make 2017 - this is what I'm using. It can do the reversing of a 3D face, however it's limited in terms of import/export formats

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Apologies, forgot to include the URL to the free sketchup: Downloading older versions | SketchUp Help