Creating a Geological, Shear Wave, P Wave, Density Model with ArcGIS

12-14-2016 11:54 AM
EthanBaker1
New Contributor

Hello,

I am attempting to create a 3D model for my master's degree project. I want to create a 3D map where a user can go to a latitude, longitude, and depth to select a point which contains details about the geological layer, shear wave velocity, p wave veolcity, and density at that point. 

My data is already generated from a Matlab program. The output excel file contains columns of latitude, longitude, depth, Vs value, Vp value, density value, and unit value. So every row is like an individual point in space with attributes of Vs, Vp, density, and unit. This results in several thousand individual points. The unit attribute is a whole number that ranges from 0 (air) to 8 (bedrock). Attached is an example spreadsheet of my data.

I want to make my data somewhat continuous, by interpolation or other means that I do not know about. However, since my data is only point data right now, I am not sure how to accomplish this while maintaining my ultimate goal (going to any lat, long, depth, and viewing the Vs, Vp, density, and unit at that location). I would also like it to be easily visualized.

I am just a beginner at ArcGIS. Does anyone have a simple way of explaining to me how this could be accomplished? Thank you!

Ethan

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MicahTaylor
Occasional Contributor III

This sounds like a pretty big project.  As far as the user entering a lat/long and then going to that point below a 3D surface (where a point is waiting to be clicked for info) I am not sure how to facilitate that.  However, if you want to have sub-surface scenes in which the user zooms to a visible point and recieve info about that point then you could try using a 3D web scene (.3ws).  You could have your points represented in 3D below a surface (include geologic layers, numbers, etc..) and the user could either zoom to them and click...or click a bookmark that you have setup to go to a specific point.  Here are a couple of these 3D web scenes that do something similar.

http://www.arcgis.com/apps/CEWebViewer/viewer.html?3dWebScene=2b48caaabd0e44028724c5f109f3de97 

Try clicking the 3D items in the scene and notice the report on the right side of the screen (that is where your attributes, Vs, Vp, Density, etc...would appear when the point is clicked)

http://www.arcgis.com/apps/CEWebViewer/viewer.html?3dWebScene=2008bddb985b4adda0eca7e0b962ac4c 

This one has geologic layers.   You might consider something like this but make the sub surface layers semi - transparent...and add your points below the surface.

Their is also the ArcGIS online Scene option, but I am not sure how it works with sub-surface data. 

Good luck man, happy 2017!

0 Kudos
MicahTaylor
Occasional Contributor III

You could probably do this in ArcScene..and export to .3WS.

0 Kudos