Extract building footprints with the 3D Basemap solution

02-06-2020 06:36 PM
Gert_van_Maren
Esri Contributor
0 3 3,179

The February 2020 release of the Local Government 3D basemap solution offers some new exciting functionality. Leveraging improved geo-processing tools in ArcGIS Pro 2.5, it is now possible to extract high quality building footprints from your lidar which in turn can be used to generate 3D buildings with roof forms.

With this new capability, the Local Government 3D Basemap solution now only requires lidar as input to generate a 3D basemap with 3D buildings, 3D trees, building footprints and detailed elevation surfaces. For best results, buildings need to be classified in the lidar and the quality of the resulting footprints and 3D buildings is dependent on the point density of your lidar. 

Download your copy of the solution here:

Local Government 3D Basemaps | ArcGIS Solutions for Local Government 

More information on the footprint extraction from lidar can be found here:

Building Footprint extraction - Local Government 3D Basemaps | ArcGIS Solutions for Local Government 

3 Comments
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello I keep getting this error, does anyone know how to fix it?

Error on line 201
Error in file name: C:\3DBasemaps\scripts\bm_common_lib.py
With error message:
ArcPy Error Message: Failed to execute. Parameters are not valid.
ERROR 000837: The workspace is not the correct workspace type.
Failed to execute (CreateMosaicDataset).
Error creating footprint raster.
Failed to execute (CreateDraftFootprintRaster).

PaigeThornton
New Contributor

Hello, I am getting a similar error messge, but it is failing on the segment roof parts tool, rather than creating the footprints raster. Aside from the Segment Roof Parts ttol, I am able to run all tools in the 3D Basemaps Solutions package successfully, including the steps that follow in creating the 3D buildings. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Gertvan_Maren1
New Contributor III

Hi,

Are you using the lates version of the 3DBasemaps solution? 

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-solutions/10.9/reference/introduction-to-3d-basemaps.htm

If so, then please share some sample data so I can test: gvanmaren at esri.com

Gert