Creating a Hillshade from Mosaic DEM

02-24-2012 07:17 AM
MikeMichalek
New Contributor
I am having problems creating a Hillshade from a mosaic DEM I made with 10m USGS seamless data DEM's. I go to the Spatial Analyst tool "Hillshade" and create the new hillshade layer, but the output is a grey screen in which you can view lines where the individual USGS DEM's boundaries were, not a hillshade. I was wondering if anyone knew what I could do to fix this.

(Screen Captures Attached)

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
10 Replies
JoeFlannery
Occasional Contributor III
Mike:

Have you run Statistics on your DEM mosaic?
Also, you can "Symbolize" your DEM for hillshade.
>Layer Properties  >Symbology tab  >check on "Use hillshade effect"
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
Is the mosaic projected so that the x, y and z values have the same units?  If not, mosaic, project the dem, then hillshade.  You may have to exaggerate the z factor if the elevation difference isn't very much relative to the x/y extent
0 Kudos
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
Mike,

I see that you're working with a mosaic dataset.  Is there a reason you want to output a hillshade to disk, which requires storage?  You can simply add the Hillshade function to your mosaic dataset and the system will generate a hillshade on the fly.  As recent as this week I outlined how to add the hillshade function to a mosaic dataset containing elevation data.  You can review step by step here:  http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/51137-Hillshade-coming-out-totally-wrong

Regards,
Eric
0 Kudos
MikeMichalek
New Contributor
Thanks for the input guys but I am still having difficulties. In the past I created/used a Hillshade layer behind a DEM (with a sent transparency %). Using the Hillshade option within the DEM Mosaic itself produces a different look than I'd prefer (a separate hillshade file). **You can see the difference in the attachment**

I guess what I am asking now;
Does anyone know how I can produce a Hillshade output using the Mosaic DEM, without getting the grey output?

Or can I use the Hillshade effect in the Mosaic DEM as suggested, but somehow manipulate it to produce the same thing as a DEM set with a transparency and Hillshade behind? If so, what steps would I have to take to get this function to produce what I desire? Mess with the Z Factor, ect.?

Thanks for the help,

Mike
0 Kudos
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
It sounds like you need to apply the Shaded Relief Function instead of the Hillshade Function on your mosaic dataset.

-Eric
0 Kudos
FerasObeidat
New Contributor

Hi,

Is it possible to run Hillshade Function on local image ?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
MikeMichalek
New Contributor
What is the difference between a Hillshade Shade & Shaded Relief Function?

Thanks for the help,

Mike
0 Kudos
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
Mike,

Hillshade is black and white.  Shaded Relief is a colored hillshade basically.

Eric
0 Kudos
MikeMichalek
New Contributor
Eric,

Is there a different ArcTollbox function for the shaded relief function? If so could you please direct me to it. I know that you can create a 'color' hillshade by changing the transparency % and allowing the DEM to blend through.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos