Raster image does not display in 10

07-08-2010 12:36 PM
GeneJohnson
New Contributor
I have a georeferenced tif image that displayed fine in 9.3 but does not display in 10.  It even disappeared in ArcReader 10.  Is this a bug or do I need to do something different and republish.
0 Kudos
9 Replies
GünterDörffel
Occasional Contributor III
Hi,

due to changes to the raster-engine between 9.3.1 and 10 you should contact ESRI Support with this case ...

Regards
Guenter
0 Kudos
UfficioAmbiente
New Contributor
We have the same problem, if i change the Symbology properties from Stretched to Classified the Raster TIF image dissapear...

Is this a Bug?

Thank for Help!
0 Kudos
PCMPCM
by
New Contributor II
Have you installed the "ArcGIS 10 (Desktop, Engine, Server) Raster Format Patch"?

http://resources.arcgis.com/content/patches-and-service-packs?fa=viewPatch&PID=160&MetaID=1648

Fabrizio
0 Kudos
UfficioAmbiente
New Contributor
yes all patches are installed but don't work 😞

---
[For Fabrizio Only: Ciao in pratica noi usiamo il CTR al 10.000 della Lombardia e siccome è molto pesante cambiamo nelle impostazioni i colori mettendo il Bianco trasparente e il Nero grigietto cosi' si allegerisce molto e si carica velocemente, con la 9.3.1 non avevamo nessun problema, ma ora con la 10 non funziona piu']
0 Kudos
UfficioAmbiente
New Contributor
Installed Service Pack 1... nothing has changed 😞
0 Kudos
deleted-user-K-lPZBqLYKPd
New Contributor
If you still have access to 9.3 you can save the tif as a img or other format raster and then you may have success viewing your raster.
0 Kudos
NewtownGIS
New Contributor II
It appears that the raster patch actual creates this problem.  I was able to view tif files that were georeferenced and "updated" and not rectified.  If you remove the patch, then you will be able to view the tif's (in some cases).  Seeing that there are several threads on this, it's amazing to me that ESRI would radically alter the way ArcGIS views tif images and not ensure that their software is backward compatible.
0 Kudos
MarieEsten
New Contributor
Hi,
I have a similiar problem.  I clipped a raster image, and it displayed fine, the first time.  I re-opened the mxd and now the image shows up as a black rectangle and the information button tells me that all the pixels are coded 0.  Although the data table indicates 0 and 1's, which is what is expected.  I searched under "Raster displays as black rectangle" and the advice was to click on a box in the image analysis window.  Tired to do that and wasn't able to get the check box to work.

Last time this happened I reprocessed the raster into a TIFF file (the previous run around I was using GRID).  But again, I opened the mxd and the TIFF now displays as a black box, so does the GRID file.  I know that data is fine.

Any thoughts?

Thank you,
Marie
0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
Due to the change to GDAL from the previous raster utilities, the manner in which the georeferencing information is being read changed.  When this issue was discovered, there were service packs created to solve the issue.  Tifs at previous versions should display with the latest service packs. If they do not please log a Support incident to test and then add to the existing bug or create a new one. 

I do recommend if you have updated the Georeferencing at 10 no service packs that the resulting raster will be problematic in previous versions of ArcMap and also with 10 installations with the Service Packs.  With the Service Pack installed the tifs georeferenced at 9.3.1 should be seen correctly and any raster georeferenced at 10 SP 2 should be seen correctly.  If in doubt, rectify the raster rather than update the georeferencing. 

Please log a support call to be added to the specific bug reports or report new problems with those rasters you created.
0 Kudos