Using Layer 3D to Feature Class on generated layer inside model builder

07-02-2014 05:32 AM
GeorgZweyer
New Contributor II
Hello everyone,

i try to generate multipatches from multiple rectangle polygons with z values using the "Layer 3D to Feature Class" tool. The layer containing the polygons was generated in the same model earlyer. The output is correct if i run the model inside modelbuilder with "add to display" turned on on the polygon layer, but not if not. Furthermore the output seems to be correct if the polygon layer was added to the display at least once. It does not have to be in the current scene. I guess the cause of this is, that the 3D properties of a layer, wich are used by "Layer 3D to Feature Class", are generated the first time it is displayed, not when it is generated.

Does anyone have some ideas how to overcome this?
Thanks for every answer.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
The Layer to 3d Feature applies 3D effects added to the layer in ArcScene/ArcGlobe to the feature.  Per the help, the tool
exports feature layers that have 3D properties defined.
So by altering the settings on the properties of the feature in those applications you can create a new feature. Without adding it to the display or adding it to layer there isn't a '3D layer' that can be used to create new data.  So when you utilize extrusion or base heights your custom look to the data can be turned into a multipatch. I am not sure if there is a way to work around this as the tool is designed to take information that can only be added in the display to the feature to create a new feature.  Without the 3D properties altered, the output would be a 3D version of the same feature at 0 elevation.
0 Kudos
GeorgZweyer
New Contributor II

Hello Jeffrey. First of all thanks for your reply. Do you know another way to transform 3D polygones to multipatches? Cause i want to use them as input for the Intersect 3D tool wich only accepts multipatches. My final goal is what i described in this Thread Distribute points on building facades

0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor

The tool will work within the application as described above. In terms of creating inputs via model builder without the application, I am not sure that it is even possible to complete this without the application.  You may try to use the Interpolate Polygon to Multipatch tool, but it will require a TIN to generate the height of the building.  You may also consider the Feature to 3D by Attribute tool to make the polygon for the building 3D at the base of the building prior to using in this tool.

0 Kudos
GeorgZweyer
New Contributor II

Hi everyone,

i found a little hack to get it going. I save a .lyr file of a layer that has the desired 3D-Attributes (no base height, take z values from features) and created a arcpy.mapping.Layer out of it in Python. Then i use replaceDataSource() to set the data source to my generated polygon class and then use the layer file as input for "Layer 3D to Feature Class". I still need to work on some invalid data errors if this is used with an Iterator, but basically it does what it should.