DBMS Sequence not found when using Attribute Rules

Jump to solution
05-22-2020 02:04 PM
CraigCarsley
Occasional Contributor II

I set up an attribute rule to populate a unique ID field in our Address Points layer.

I also set up a corresponding database sequence.

When I add an address point as the database owner, no problem.

When another user who is not the database owner adds an address point, they get an error message about the database sequence.

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

24 Replies
MarietteShin
New Contributor III

Hi there,

I'm running into the same issue, but need a solution that works for multiple user edit versions at the same time against an enterprise geodatabase. Do you know if the solution you posted works for multiple users edit versions editing/accessing the feature attribute rule at the same time? Right now, it seems that only the schema owner has the permissions to use the Immediate Calculation rule with NextSequenceValue function.

Thanks.

DNVT
by
New Contributor II

@MarietteShin I have the same issue. We use Enterprise Geodatabase with 3 sets of owners (ADMIN, EDITOR - read/write, USER - read). I can use the NextSequenceValue('OWNER.SEQUENCE_NAME') if I am the owner (ADMIN), but we publish our data for editing with the EDITOR user. If published through EDITOR, I continue to receive the "DBMS sequence not found."  when inserting a new record.

MarietteShin
New Contributor III

We have a Default, Master_Edit (aka QA version) and User Edit versions. The owner of our database is the Master_Edit version, so the "Owner.DBSequence" parameter works for our users. But, I totally understand your situation and wish you all the best. Thank you for your feedback!

0 Kudos
DNVT
by
New Contributor II

Are you publishing to ArcGIS Online to use within Field Maps with the Master_Edit version? That is where I am hung up, ADMIN is the only one that can create Attribute Rules, but we publish through EDITOR. It is a bummer the attribute rule can only apply to the "Owner" that created it and not to any user that edits the Feature Class (ADMIN or EDITOR).

0 Kudos
MarietteShin
New Contributor III

Hi DNVT,

No, we are using attribute rules for editing within ArcGIS Pro as a User_Edit version. Our Pro data layers are saved with the sde.DEFAULT version, as default. Our mmwd.Master_Edit version or "MMWD" is the "owner" for editing purposes within Pro.

Attribute Rules don't work with ArcGIS Field Maps on ArcGIS Online. We do publish Mobile Map Packages (MMPKs) to ArcGIS Online for offline mobile use, but we don't edit our MMPKs in the field. We are trying to create Attribute Rules for editing data within ArcGIS Pro within the office.

0 Kudos
Mandalorian
New Contributor III

Craig Carsley‌ We ran into the same error in my organization as well with a calculation rule configured to generate a UID on INSERT. Interestingly, we also did the same thing as B Thompson‌ to correct the issue. Our Arcade Expression follows this syntax: return nextSequenceValue("OWNER.SEQUENCE_NAME")

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

This is one of the irritations I have with Arcade and Attribute rules.  There are some inconsistencies with them.  I don't have to use the Owner.Sequence reference for my EGDB sequences like you guys are:

That should just about do it....
Allison_Hockey
New Contributor III

Here's an interesting thought too: I published my geodatabase to AGOL, and all the GIS techs access this data through portal. We do not have enterprise. I published to AGOL only, and we all access this data through portal. I built up the database sequences and when I bring the data in to my map through portal, non of the features create unique ID's any more. This is excessively frustrating, as I've built all of my relationship classes with these UID's. What can be done about this? 

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Allison Hockey‌ - you might want to start a new thread.  

I'm a little confused when you say that you access the data through portal but that you do not have enterprise.  There is a way to publish a feature layer from an enterprise geodatabase such that the attribute rules will fire.

That should just about do it....
Allison_Hockey
New Contributor III

Hi Joe, 

Our company has an ArcGIS Online for Organizations set up. We don't have enterprise. We are a few GIS techs spread across the country who gain access to the data that I publish to arcgis online from ArcPro and a local GDb.
The users then access that hosted data from arcgis online through the portal. I had set up database sequences and attribute rules in my local GDB before I published it and when I access the data from arcgis online, the DB sequences are no longer there and the attribute rules do not apply. My UID's no longer populate automatically. Perhaps this discussion is better in a different thread?