Custom tool to map energy emissions from buildings and roads for 2020, 2030, 2040 and 2050 using utility energy consumption data!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!

10-18-2020 04:33 PM
HussainMalik
New Contributor

Shitij MehtaDan PattersonKory KramerPythonModelBuilder Suzanne Boden Richard Fairhurst‌  Xander Bakker

PLEASE HELP!!!!!! 

Hello All,
I am working on a project where I have to map Green house gases emissions from all city buildings for the current year and for next 30 years with 10 years gap, i.e: emissions for 2020, 2030, 2040 and 2050. Now I have all the equations and scenarios that I am considering for the future state mapping. I am able to do all these calculation within ArcPro environment, however, I have hit the roadblock at this stage of my project where I want to create a custom tool (either on Model Builder or in python) to carry out these calculations.

Information about the feature class:

• Building data from the city shows all building
  • Average energy consumption (electricity and Natural gas) from each house is provided by utilities
  • Based on these energy consumption (electricity and Natural gas) values we have to calculate future scenarios. Using following equation

Equations for Emission Calculations:

2020 Gas Emissions: Gas consumption * 0.0561 -- Natural Gas emission factor

2030 Gas Emissions: Gas consumption * (0.0561*0.95)

2040 Gas Emissions: Gas consumption * (0.0561*0.9)

2050 Gas Emissions: Gas consumption * (0.0561*0.8)

2020 Electricity Emissions: (Electricity consumption * 1000)*0.0005 --- Electric emission factor

2030 Electricity Emissions: (Electricity consumption * 1000)*0.00031

2040 Electricity Emissions: (Electricity consumption * 1000)*0.00017

2050 Electricity Emissions: (Electricity consumption * 1000)*0.00009

These calculations provide emissions in tonnesCO2e/year

Our calculations are based on an assumption that emissions will reduce from the transportation and buildings due to improvements in technology.

So, Idea is to create a tool where we have specific variables that would help reduce the emission in the future by some percentage, I have attached an excel table from where I can choose some of the variable for calculations.

I want to start simple at this point and built my model on a specific template where I could add as many variables as needed also If required, I can share test data privately as well.

I am still a beginner in Python and model builder so any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

H

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ShitijMehta
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Hussain,

1. I think a model is good for your case. Model will keep it simple and visual for you to begin with. I will work with your data today meanwhile try this to get started:
  2. Go through this tutorial:
    1. Tutorial: Executing tools in ModelBuilder—ArcMap | Documentation 
    2. Tutorial: Creating tools with ModelBuilder—ArcMap | Documentation 
  3. Open your excel and flatten all the sections such as building descriptors etc to remove the formatting.
  4. Open a new model in ArcGIs Pro
  5. Click inside the model and start typing: Table to Table
  6. Add your Excel as input to the tool and create a file geodatabase table (you can also work with excel, but this is recommended even if not necessary)
  7. Then open the attribute table and check the field names - if they see correct - Use the file names as is in the next tool.
  8. If not, you can right click on any field> Field View> Edit your field names >Save the data
  9. Add these two tools (Add fields and Calculate field (8 of them or add the tool called Calculate Fields. For Calculate Fields you need to know how to know the equation with syntax the Calculate Field needs. OR you can just use multiple calculate fields tool. Try it.)
  10. Add unique field name for new calculations in add fields.
  11. Connect the output of Add field as input to cal field.
  12. Build your equation. Click on the question mark on the tool dialog to open help.
  13. Save the model
  14. Run the model
  15. The second tutorial will tell you how to make model parameters and make a model tool so you can change your template in future.

Write back if it works out. I will try to create a model and post back later today.

0 Kudos
HussainMalik
New Contributor

Hello Shitij Mehta

Thanks for getting back to me, the excel table that i have attached is not my primary data its just a reference table for variables that i will add into my final feature class, i have a shape file that has polygons and energy values in it, and the values for these parameters are derived from those energy values. please let me know how i can  share my data with you, it would be much easier for you to work on the shape file. 

Really appreciate you working with me. 

Thanks 

H

0 Kudos
ShitijMehta
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Hussain, I have sent you a message for the data. If you have not received pls let me know. I will resend. Thanks!

0 Kudos
HussainMalik
New Contributor

Hi Shitij, Just wanted to check if you have got my email with data in it .

Thanks 

0 Kudos
ShitijMehta
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi, Yes, I got the data. Will check and reply back. Ty!

0 Kudos