Why a file server VM for ArcGIS Server with cloud storage in Azure?

10-01-2019 08:04 PM
HéctorMeléndez
Esri Contributor

I recently tried to deploy an ArcGIS Image Server site with cloud builder 10.7.1 for azure and although I choose to use Cloud Storage Azure Files (SMB) a file server VM was deployed as well. I wonder if it is by design or if it is a bug. The base deployment does not create a file server when using Azure Files.

Tags (1)
1 Reply
ChristopherPawlyszyn
Esri Contributor

Hello Héctor Meléndez‌,

When deploying any of the server roles using the ArcGIS Enterprise Cloud Builder for Microsoft Azure the important selection based on the behavior you are describing is whether you leave 'Single machine deployment' selected when launching the stack. During my testing this was the determining factor in whether the additional file server machine was deployed as part of the site and is intended to allowing horizontal scaling in the future. Selecting that option (or leaving checked by default) only deployed a single image server machine with the files stored locally on that machine.

In regards to the configuration store being located in Azure Files, that does not include the root directories since they require more immediate access and are typically located on either the local machine or a file server to avoid any additional latency.

Hope that helps!

-- Chris Pawlyszyn