GIS for social justice volunteers?

09-20-2020 11:09 AM
BenHughey1
New Contributor II

Hi all,

I'm wondering if this user group might be a useful place to recruit GIS professionals looking to help social justice organizations?

If so, here's an idea:

Alaska Community Action on Toxics (ACAT) is seeking an experienced, independent cartographer to continue a volunteer project mapping toxic sites. Across Alaska, mines, former military bases, and oil & gas expansion leach chemicals that are hazardous to human health, a particular concern for indigenous communities reliant on subsistence hunting and gathering. Over the summer, a GIS volunteer compiled datasets and developed a rough interactive map. For the next step, ACAT needs someone to refine the data and produce publicly usable online maps, including a StoryMap. Contact ben.w.hughey@gmail.com if you're interested or have any questions.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MargotBordne
Esri Contributor

Hi Ben, thanks for reaching out to the community. I think this site could definitely be used this way! I am asking around and will tell folks to reach out to you if they are interested. Maybe this is a silly question, but do you need to live in Alaska?

0 Kudos
BenHughey1
New Contributor II

Hi Margot, thanks so much for spreading the word! I've just been contacted

by a couple interested folks!

No need to live in Alaska! It's all so spread out here anyways that it's

all remote

MargotBordne
Esri Contributor

Awesome!! When the project is finished if it's public please share it here! Would love to see.

Thanks,
Margot

0 Kudos