Cannot Poll a Map service layer

08-29-2020 11:16 AM
MassimoDragan1
New Contributor II

good day 

I am trying to poll features from the National Weather Service map service at this URL

NWS_Forecasts_Guidance_Warnings/wpc_qpf (MapServer) 

The feature layer is published as a Map Service. I've tried two things with no success:

- Add the layer to a AGOL

the layer gets recognized and published as Feature Layer and works in a Map Viewer

but when I a try to create a "Poll and ArcGIS Server Service", albeit the Service Name gets listed, once selected the Layer field doesn't list the specific layer endpoint 

- Create a Data Store pointing directly to the Map Server Rest endpoint, but the behavior is the same. I can list the Service Name but not the layer id

I'd like to understand if a Map Server service (and not a Feature Server service) can be polled in this way and if not, what is an alternative workaround to poll features from the REST service.

thanks in advance

Massimo

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Stefan_Jung
Esri Contributor

Hi Massimo Dragan‌,

I've just tested to poll features from the service (Layer: QPF 24 Hour Day 1) and it works fine.

All I did was adding the Server (https://idpgis.ncep.noaa.gov/arcgis) to the Datastore:

I am able to select the layer and the polling looks fine for me, without looking deeper into the incoming data.

Just try again

Best,

Stefan

0 Kudos
MassimoDragan1
New Contributor II

thanks Stefan!

I've tried again and can now poll the service, it takes a (long) while to update the data store catalog but eventually I can select the services.

The first time I tried ita gave me a weird error on a name field, but today at a second attempt I've been able to poll features from the service,

thank you for taking the time to test it,

kind regards

Massimo

0 Kudos