Is there a way to prevent search engine indexing for StoryMaps?

Jump to solution
08-12-2020 07:21 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

For some of our projects, we are collaborating with third parties from outside the organization, and it would be nice to share a public link to a StoryMap which is otherwise unlisted (i.e. not indexed by search engines, the equivalent of a robots `noindex` meta statement or something similar).

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Rudo -- Unfortunately this is not currently a capability of the ArcGIS platform, so we do not have a way to implement this in StoryMaps.

I would suggest that you vote for one or both of these ideas to register your support for this feature:

Privacy Setting, ArcGIS Online: unsearchable but publically viewable if embeddable 

https://community.esri.com/ideas/14658 

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@Lvivcenter -- Good news! Last week, ArcGIS StoryMaps gained the ability to opt-out of search engine registration. For more information, see What’s new in ArcGIS StoryMaps (August 2023) (esri.com).

Owen Evans

View solution in original post

5 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Rudo -- Unfortunately this is not currently a capability of the ArcGIS platform, so we do not have a way to implement this in StoryMaps.

I would suggest that you vote for one or both of these ideas to register your support for this feature:

Privacy Setting, ArcGIS Online: unsearchable but publically viewable if embeddable 

https://community.esri.com/ideas/14658 

Owen Evans
Lvivcenter
New Contributor III

Is there a chance to solve this issue eventually? I still keep receiving odd feedback from our readers who get ArcGIS links in google search results instead of our project page where this publication was embeded. It so confusing to search for a specific project page but receive ArcGIS links instead. I don't understand why for several years now there was no any reasonable explanation for not resolving this issue. Make an additional license fee for that, if necessary. But it just something that is crucial. As far as I can see there are many voices up for this feature across the community. 

0 Kudos
Lvivcenter
New Contributor III

While offering so many other useful features, the issue with Storymaps indexing is causing continuous damage to our project's identity. So, I just keep sending this question to the void again - do you at least consider resolving this issue with search engine indexing? Will you ever respond to this request with some solutions? 

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@Lvivcenter -- Good news! Last week, ArcGIS StoryMaps gained the ability to opt-out of search engine registration. For more information, see What’s new in ArcGIS StoryMaps (August 2023) (esri.com).

Owen Evans
Lvivcenter
New Contributor III

That is fantastic news! It finally resolves so many issues for us. Thank you.

0 Kudos