ArcGIS Pro can't see Adobe Typekit Fonts

08-30-2018 08:17 PM
MarkRichardson3
New Contributor II

I have the latest install of ArcGIS Pro and ArcMap and I have an Adobe Creative Cloud subscription.

I have several fonts in the Adobe Typekit that I'm using for an important project, I could use them in ArcMap but ArcGIS Pro can't see any of them. Which is making it fairly impossible to continue to use Pro. Is anyone familiar with this issue?

Thanks,
Mark Richardson

Green Hat Designs

12 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Mark...

C:\Path_where_pro_is_installed\Resources\Fonts

and

C:\Windows\Fonts

are the two locations where fonts are check apparently... there is little in the help files except for svg text

MarkRichardson3
New Contributor II

So Adobe Typekit doesn't actually store the fonts in the usual places as I understand it, but serves them up to all the applications (I don't know exactly how this works). So the fonts I have synced via Typekit are not in Windows/Fonts but I can see and use them in other applications like Office or Photoshop.

I can access these fonts in ArcMap which is why puzzles me. Also with the recent Adobe ArcGis unification I figured this would be more integrated... but I guess not.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Maybe they do, but I suppose they leave the onus on Adobe to inform people how to use them if they can.

Report back if you find a solution Mark

0 Kudos
MarkRichardson3
New Contributor II

So thanks to Twitter I bumped into a Product Engineer with ESRI who had Adobe CC. He assumed it would work but he discovered that ArcGIS Pro officially can't read Adobe Typekit synced fonts. So he has registered the issue for the development team to examine.

So yay I found a bug.

Not so yay I can't use this new project I just created for a client in Pro so back to ArcMap.

FYI, this new project is wild. I'm recreating a 1933 Shell Road Map of Massachusetts modified to fit into the HP Lovecraft world for a essay collection on his stories and their connections to geography. It's been a really interesting process of research.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Sounds like a cool project Mark. 

Maybe this link applies to move than what was list here (are they are SVG?)

Scalable vector graphics support—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

Text. ArcGIS Pro accesses the Windows font folder and ArcGIS Pro resource folder only. If an SVG file references a font-family or font-style name that does not match a font in either of these folders, it reverts to a default font.
0 Kudos
CRose
by
New Contributor III

Could you tell us the bug number, so we can follow this bug? Thanks! 

I am trying to use Minion Pro and Myriad Pro, which have been the defaults in Adobe Illustrator. 

On a machine where I still use Creative Suite 6, ArcGIS Pro can access those fonts just fine because CS6 installs them to the computer, and they are visible at C:\Windows\Fonts

On the machine "upgraded" to Adobe Creative Cloud, ArcGIS Pro cannot access the CC-managed fonts... but why is ArcMap able to?  

0 Kudos
HuckBroyles
New Contributor

Mark that project sounds really really interesting!  I love recreating and restoring old maps myself!  

0 Kudos
ShawnyEkadis
New Contributor III

Thank you for this information. I had two fonts that our organization uses that I was able to access in ArcMap but not Pro. The fonts were in the Windows/Fonts folder already so I added them to the Pro/Resources folder and now I can use them in Pro too. Very helpful!

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just confirming that I've run into the same issue. I was puzzled for a good hour as to why, before I googled around and found this thread.

0 Kudos