ArcGIS Pro 2.5: “analyze mosaic dataset” tool ends up with “references files are inaccessible” error,

04-08-2020 01:57 AM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

ArcGIS Pro 2.5: “analyze mosaic dataset” tool ends up with “references files are inaccessible” error,

The “analyze mosaic dataset” tool ends up with “references files are inaccessible” despite the fact that the folder where the images are saved is shared and accessible as shown in the screenshots below.

What could be the issue here?

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
26 Replies
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

How about the allowed limits for the long paths? How many characters\levels? Is this documented?

Jamal Numan
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Jamal - I found this ArcGIS Enterprise size limits help topic here.  For a file geodatabase, size limits help topic here.  An older topic, but ArcMap has a help topic for path size limitation for publishing here.  And lastly a great read from the USGS here.  Documentation is available if you look.

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

The issue here is not related to the name length of the file gdb. It's rather belongs to the path level at which the gdb is stored. What is controlling this?

Jamal Numan
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

I understand it's not the GDB aspect rather the folder aspect.  The only thing I see in the Esri internals is error messages begin getting generated when folder length exceeds 127 characters.  I'd recommend experimenting with your folder length (i.e shorten) and see if the error message is generated again.  Please advise.

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

The sum of characters of all folders including the name of the gdb is 118.

Jamal Numan
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Okay, I'd recommend experimentation.  Cut it by half and attempt to republish.  What is the result?  Success or failure?  If success, then try 25% fewer characters vs 50% fewer characters.  Attempt to republish.  Success or failure?  You can keep doing this until you determine the maximum folder size value.  Good luck!

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

I observed one new thing. As the file gdb is referenced by UNC, then the sum of characters exceeds 127 as shown in the screenshot below

\\Jamalnuman1\d\OrthophotosImageries\Orthophoto_WestBank_2018\Orthophoto_WestBank_2018_Aerial_25cm_jpg_Palestine1923GridCassiniClarke

However, the link below works fine both at the level of mosaic and publishing which contains 90 characters

\\Jamalnuman1\d\Orthophotos\Orthophotos_WB_2019\Orthophotos_WB_2019_Aerial_25cm_jpg_PG1923

Jamal Numan