Trying to clone Python environment in ArcGIS Pro 2.6

07-30-2020 12:17 PM
EvanAird
New Contributor II

I have been unable to clone the default Python environment in ArcGIS Pro.

can

How do I install Conda so that running the following command will create the clone?

conda not recognized

18 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Other cloning issues, not directly related perhaps...

https://community.esri.com/thread/257842-another-pro-26-clone-problem 

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

I had to completely uninstall 2.6  (which was an update from 2.5). Download 2.6 from MyEsri, reinstall and only then could I clone the default environment..

0 Kudos
EvanAird1
New Contributor

I was hopeful based on this post that the same would work for me, but no such luck. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What was the error? You never did report what it was 

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Yesterday I was able to complete my clone for 2.6.  I have a directory at the C: level called EnvClones and that's where I send my clones to, calling them what makes sense like (drum roll) clonepor26.

I don't like using the esri default clone location as it involves way more digging than I care to.

Once I got the clone created, I use conda to install spyder.  I was having a problem with another package clobbering spyder when I added that package with conda, so I used pip to install it and things seem to be behaving as they should. At least for now. 

Cloning and ArcGIS seems to have a little attitude; someday maybe it'll get better instead of worse.

That should just about do it....
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I think that people having cloning issues should really report these to Technical Support.

They might notice... be a storm trooper not a Dolly  

On that final note... I don't use clones and I install everything in the base environment, but my machine is MY machine. 

If things go bad... deleting/renaming all folders related to esri (there are only a few) and re-running the install from the  *msi can be completed over a coffee break.

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Bringing Kory Kramer‌ into the fold; I'm past the point of calling technical support, and my guess is that adding packages is a 'customization'.  If that is in fact the case, users on on their own; that was my experience with an ESRI solution recently.  I mentioned in my other post at that time we had two complaints; myself and one other.  Now it seems to be a trend.

That should just about do it....
EvanAird1
New Contributor

This issue has been resolved with help from ESRI tech support. I had to change the path in <USER>\AppData\Local\ESRI\conda\envs\proenv.txt from an old clone back to the path of the default Python environment, C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3. I then followed the instructions at https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000020560.

DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

Nice one!

0 Kudos