Can I Invite ArcGIS Online Users to view my ArcGIS Enterprise Content

12-20-2017 05:29 PM
TonyKroska
New Contributor

I am hosting my own portal. My question is if I can invite Arcgis online users to a group within my portal to share content with them.  

The documentation appears to say its possible to invite users across accounts as long as both accounts are an organizational account. I am not sure if its only within Arcgis online, or if the invite can cross over into my own portal as well. 

Also, if I make one of my groups "public"  Can Arcgis ONLINE users join the group?  Or is it only "public" to my own portal.  This is very confusing.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Tony, 

From my research, it does not seem to be possible to invite ArcGIS Online users to Portal for ArcGIS groups.

If you make your Portal for ArcGIS group Public, outside users can only find the group if they know the URL for it, they won't be able to search for it in ArcGIS Online. Outside users being able to access the group is also dependent on whether your Portal for ArcGIS instance is accessible outside your network or not. 

A new piece of funationality called Collaboration has been released, and it's possible to sign up to the early adopter program: Distributed collaboration—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS - this allows you to share content between your Portal for ArcGIS and ArcGIS Online without duplicating. 

Carmel

KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Tony Kroska‌,

As Carmel mentioned, ArcGIS Online users will be able to see content in ArcGIS Enterprise (Portal for ArcGIS) if the portal is accessible to the internet and permit anonymous access to the content. ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Enterprise have separate security implementations that do not provide authentication between the two environments, therefore group sharing between the two environments is not possible.

With distributed collaboration, you can maintain data in ArcGIS Enterprise and copy content to ArcGIS Online, providing ArcGIS Online users access to content maintained in your internal system. Here is a blog about a practical example:

Introducing ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Enterprise Collaboration Workflows Part 1: Data Publication | A... 

Thanks, 

Kelly

0 Kudos
DavidTreering1
New Contributor III

Kelly Gerrow‌  Is there any movement towards getting more than a single ArcGIS Online organization allowed to Collaborate with an ArcGIS Enterprise?

Frequently asked questions about distributed collaboration—Portal for ArcGIS | Documentation for Arc... 

Portal collaboration with ArcGIS Online group from other organizations