Lost ArcMap Add-In Toolbar Associated with AssemblyCache Folder and ArcGIS Cache Manager

07-22-2020 08:37 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Our organization manages an ArcMap 10.6.1 add-in written using the ArcObjects SDK for .NET Framework 4.7.2. We publish the add-in file to a server folder. We edited the registry to make ArcMap look for the add-in in the server folder.

REG ADD HKLM\Software\WOW6432Node\ESRI\Desktop10.6\Settings\AddInFolders /v "server"

The problem is that a handful, but not most, user machines lose the toolbar in ArcMap every time we publish an updated add-in to the server folder, and the user has to either reboot their machine or ctrl-alt-delete and find the ArcGIS Cache Manager and end that task to regain the toolbar (see attached).

I have read extensively about this problem:

1. https://community.esri.com/thread/121214 
  2. Problem: Changes are not made to updated versions of an add-in installed in ArcMap 
  3. arcgis desktop - ArcMap Add-In Not Updating To Latest Version - Geographic Information Systems Stack... 
  4. ArcMap addin Path

Interestingly, I see mixed results among users with their AssemblyCache folders (C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\ESRI\Desktop10.x\AssemblyCache). The add-in is associated with a GUID, and the folder name for the add-in in the AssemblyCache folder is that GUID. One user's AssemblyCache\{GUID} folder updates to contain the latest dlls, and another user's folder is sometimes empty, and sometimes has the dlls in it, before or after an update to the add-in.

I would like more information about this problem. Even better, I would like to know if there is an ESRI or Windows setting that can be changed to address this problem, or if that is not an option, is there a way to automate ending the ArcGIS Cache Manager task using ArcObjects inside the source code for our add-in?

0 Kudos
0 Replies