1:M Join In Model Builder

07-09-2020 09:33 AM
gishelpdesk1
New Contributor

Hi all,

I am using model builder and joining a (non spatial) table to a feature class based on matched addresses. 

This works OK but if there is more than one of the same address (which there can be) it's only joining the first address and not the others. I know I need to do a 1:Many join but can't see an option to add this tool in model builder. I know you can specify a 1:M in spatial join but one of my tables is not spatial.

Any help would be most appreciated

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
LukasFalk
Esri Contributor

Hello there!

Unfortunately in all cases of 1:M joins, only the first matching record is joined and displayed in the attribute table.  You can confirm this with the screen shot below.   This screen shot was pulled from the following URL.  

About joining and relating tables—Help | Documentation 

There is another workflow you can try to achieve the same result though.  The URL below contains a workflow that utilizes the Make Query Table geoprocessing tool to achieve a one-to-many join.  The workflow is outlined for ArcMap but the same tool exists in Pro if that's what you're using.  The second URL below is for a geonet thread in which someone asked the same question as you.  If you look down this thread you will find that someone outlines how they utilized the Make Query Table workaround in ArcGIS Pro to achieve a 1:M join.  You can use this information for additional guidance on how to complete the workflow.  

How To: Create a one-to-many join in ArcMap 

ArcGIS Pro Join One to Many Join by Attribute 

I hope this helps!

Lukas 

MarkYoung3
New Contributor III

Hi Lukas - thank you for your reply.

I am trying to address match a non spatial table of addresses (and there can be more than one instance of the same address in this table)  to a point feature class. The make table query accepts the point feature class as an input table but won't accept the non spatial table as an input table. 

Thanks

Mark

0 Kudos
MarkYoung3
New Contributor III

Hi,

Eventually got this to work. Both my tables needed to be in an enterprise gdb rather than an file gdb

Thanks again for your help

Mark