How do I create an offline basemap for mobile map package with greater detail

07-02-2020 04:30 AM
AliHassani1
New Contributor

I'm very new to GIS.  I am developing an iOS app using the runtime SDK.  The app needs global coverage and offline use.  I need to make a mobile map package or mobile scene package with a basemap that can provide global coverage with reasonable detail offline.  Ideally I would like topography but imagery is fine also for the basemap.  I managed to create a mobile map package with imagery basemap but the size of the package is only 50 KB and without internet the detail is not very good at all.  How can I specify a larger and more detailed basemap to be packaged for mobile use.  Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Nicholas-Furness
Esri Regular Contributor

I assume you used ArcGIS Pro to create your mobile map package?

I'd need more detail before I can help, but some things to consider:

1. It sounds like you are after imagery. Vector Tile basemaps consume much less space in general for the same amount of detail, especially over large geographic areas. Could that work for you, or do you need imagery?
  2. With respect to "global coverage": Consider the nature of your app. Do you need to provide one offline map for the whole world at once, or do you merely need to provide smaller offline maps, but potentially anywhere around the globe?
  3. How large a map package is acceptable to your app and your users?
  4. Are your users ArcGIS users who could potentially generate their own offline maps?
0 Kudos
AliHassani1
New Contributor

Hi Nicholas,

Thanks very much for your reply.  I am indeed using ArcGIS Pro to create the mobile scene package.

1.  I am fine to switch to Vector from Imagery as long as there is some topographic information.  I want to create a mobile scene package to use with iOS runtime SDK.

2.  I do really need global coverage as it will be used worldwide offline.  I want a spinning globe as in the scene sdk and to. be able to zoom to a reasonable detail. certainly not street level or even city level detail.  I managed to create an imagery package that was 500 mb and the detail was okay at 1:4,000,000 but ideally I want to improve on that as much as I can.

3.  I'm okay with 1-2 GB maximum size for the package.

4.  Users are not ArcGIS users and cannot generate their own maps.  I will generate one basemap for the users to download once they get the app on their device.  Thereafter they will add data layers to their map.  I'm stuck getting a very good basemap to begin with.  I've tried to create basemaps by just opening a new project from the default global scene option and then trying to create a mobile scene package but I get the error message that that topographic layer "is not supported for world topographic map in runtime".

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos