Best way to combine 10+ years of data?

07-07-2020 12:41 PM
ChelseaTabor1
New Contributor III

Our stormwater department has interns collecting data each summer using the Collector app.  Each time they inspect a hydrological feature, like a pipe outfall, they add a new point with details like whether there is discharge, the severity, color, and correctability and attach pictures. They inspect the same features each year  and over the years it's turned into a huge mess of points on top of each other. I would really like to consolidate all this data so that each hydrological feature is represented by a single point but still includes all the data from previous years. Most details stay the same year to year, like pipe diameter and location, but they'll need the ability to see whether conditions have improved, stayed the same, or deteriorated year-to-year. 

Is there a good way to do this? Another thought was, instead of consolidating the points, to break all the data up into multiple feature classes, one for each year.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

It would take some processing of your existing data to move to, of course, but if I was setting up this project today I would use related records. The Collector doc has some recommendations about this. Look at how to set up your data to record current status but also have historical records available: Design your layer—ArcGIS Collector | Documentation 

Esri Education Team
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Agreed use Relationship classes.  Reference point is the main feature with each inspection related to it.

I do this using Survey123  See this post  https://community.esri.com/thread/221263-mapping-with-survey123-within-a-polygon-or-admin-unit 

Hope it helps.

0 Kudos