Standalone Python 3 scripts: FlexNet Licensing Service is not installed on this machine

06-02-2020 07:16 AM
Danielle_Journey
Occasional Contributor

I recently got a new workstation.  Installed ArcGIS 10.8 with Pro 2.5 and authorized licenses (Advanced Single Use & extensions).  When running stand alone python scripts, I now get this error message: The FlexNet Licensing Service is not installed on this machine.

Has anyone encountered this?  My propy.bat was originally located here: c:\Progra~1\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\scripts\propy.bat

After installing everything, it now resides in my:  C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Programs\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\Scripts\propy.bat

Could this be causing the error message?

6 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Have I seen it, yes. but it is more of a warning than an error in that I have never had it stop me from using ArcPy of the ArcGIS API for Python.  I have been testing the 2.6 beta and I no longer see that when running ArcPy, so I would just ignore it unless it is causing a problem for you.

0 Kudos
Danielle_Journey
Occasional Contributor

Just an annoying warning, got it.  Thanks...

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

sort of ignore it... unless anything in this fits

Bug: Users can authorize single use licenses on a per-user installation of ArcGIS Pro 

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
Danielle_Journey
Occasional Contributor

Thankfully the scripts executed just fine.  But these are scripts that I normally have scheduled, called by the .bat file.  As long as the warning doesn't cause the scheduler to fire, then I am fine with ignoring it.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
ZacharyStauber1
New Contributor III

I have this same problem, and I'm not satisfied with the answer to just ignore it, because it's not only that, it's causing real problems.

I have a "per user" install (which basically means it's installed on this machine's C:\Users\user.name\AppData folder instead of C:\Program Files), and concurrent licensing, and now when I go into licensing to check out a license so I can disconnect from VPN, the option is grayed out.

The info tip says that

This functionality is not available without the ArcGIS Licensing Service being installed.  The service can be installed by running the licensing service installer located within the ArcGIS Pro installation folder.

Well, I don't have any idea what that means.  I've looked under the executable folder in my AppData folder, in the folder from which the program installs in the first place, and even on the unpacked DVD ISO, and I don't see any setup.exe for just a licensing service.

0 Kudos
ZacharyStauber1
New Contributor III

I should also add that the help page I am redirected to from here also has no information on a manual installation of the flexnet licensing service.  ArcGIS Desktop license types—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

0 Kudos