How can I edit and continuously add data from my excel sheet so that it updates in my attribute table/map?

07-03-2020 01:03 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I know ArcGIS maps does not let you add more data directly to excel files on attribute tables because they are "read only's." However, I am creating a time series map that requires I continuously add data to my attribute table every day to show the continuous change. How can I do this using an excel file? If not with excel, does downloading the data as a geo-file allow you to add data in the attribute table? Only thing I know is that when you add/edit an attribute table it only allows you to add on an additional field. But what if I don't want to create an additional field, but rather add on to the data within a field?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Is the data point data?

Are you adept at scripting?

What is your current workflow?

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

you should be able to do this with a Relate with the feature and table, or create a tool or script to run an arcpy.da.UpdateCursor or InsertCursor.  

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes. I am working with data points. And I am not too skilled at scripting. Can you please send some info on scripting? 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Quite a bit

ArcGIS Pro Python reference—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

Modelbuilder might be a better first approach if you use tools from arctoolbox

ModelBuilder quick tour—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

... sort of retired...
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Can you give an example of your data, and what your daily update looks like? It's not clear to me if you're editing existing records or simply adding new records to your table.

The ArcGIS Pro documentation discusses excel files in a good amount of detail on this page. Once you have your Excel table added to your map, it will refresh with any updated edits to the spreadsheet when Pro opens. You should be able to continue using Excel to enter your data without much trouble.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am tracking the movements of the protest in NYC everyday. So im constantly updating the location and time of protest. And thank you for the info! 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

In other words, Im adding a new date every day with a new location and new time of a new protest in NYC.

0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

People on this thread, consider if what you really need is event-driven geoprocessing, and if so start an Idea with your use case.  I took a look at using the watchdog module for this but it blocked the groprocessing thread and needed to be made into a Windows service, which just got too hard (for me).

0 Kudos
Kara_Shindle
Occasional Contributor III

I use a script that takes excel documents like time entries on projects filled in by others and uploads it to AGOL where it updates a metrics dashboard for admins.  I have the script set via Task Scheduler to run every hour.  This is just one way I came up with solving a similar issue.