ArcMap 10.7 Crashes on Startup

04-07-2019 02:20 PM
Barry_JamesJaggernauth
New Contributor II

Hi

I recently upgradedArcMap from 10.6 to 10.7. 10.6 worked fine. But 10.7 crashes on #startup. ArcCatalog works, but much slower than in 10.6.

These are the things I've tried so far:

1. Resetting profile

2. Uninstall/reinstall python

3. switching display drivers

4. changing default printer

5. uninstall/re-install 10.7

6. uninstall 10.7 and install 10.6 (this one I'm not sure about, I don't know if upgrading the license manager had something to do with it)

This is the arcmap.exe /log file:

Initializing license...done
Parsed command line
Creating App...
done
Processing shell command...
Creating New Document...
Opening normal template...done...
Loading printer information...done...
New VBA project...done...
Add first mapDone creating New Document
done
Loading extensions...done
Startup complete

Any help getting ArcMap up and running would be helpful!

Thanks

Barry

19 Replies
KevinKrasnow
New Contributor

I have also experienced ArcMap 10.7 crashing on stratup.  It seems to be related to my .mxd files I'm trying to open (made in 10.6) referencing data in my Google drive (drive G:).  This worked in 10.6, but seems to be crashing 10.7.  Any news on a bug here or fixes on the way?

0 Kudos
Barry_JamesJaggernauth
New Contributor II

No update. This issue was not an mxd issue though. It was related to the new license manager not being able to manage old installations.

0 Kudos
lesfuller
New Contributor

Did you get 10.6 reinstalled and did it work?  What steps did you have to do.  I am uninstalling everything and it now crashes on 10.6 as well.

0 Kudos
Barry_JamesJaggernauth
New Contributor II

Check through the program files properly to make sure everything ESRI has been removed. You may also want to use revo uninstaller to make sure everything is cleaned up. You'll also have to make sure the license manager is pre-2019 (2017-2018 should be fine).

Good luck!

lesfuller
New Contributor

thought this might help for those who are still struggling with this issue. At least for me, this change from esri solved my problem.

Go to C:\program files (x86)\arcgis\desktop10.7\bin\configuration

Rename folder CATID to CATID_old

Restart arcmap…. All should run properly.

supposedly a corrupt config file in that folder. The odd thing is that when arc map runs successfully that folder and config file are not re-created.

ChristianSailer2
Occasional Contributor

this workaround of renaming that folder has worked also in our lab!

Thx Les Fuller

0 Kudos
LukeCatania__Developer_Acct_
New Contributor

This did not work for me.  Changing the directory name results in ArcMap starting, but when loading a MXD, it does not actually load anything.  And can't start ArcToolBox or Arc Catalog.  If I start ArcCatalog from outside of ArcMap it crashed when I try ti expand certain directories.

0 Kudos
VictoriaWitt
New Contributor

I am having a similar problem. Did you find a solution?

0 Kudos
HuyPhuongNguyen
New Contributor

Hi Barry,

Did you fix this? I have the same problem.

0 Kudos
Cristian
New Contributor

I have the same problem. Someone solve this problem?

0 Kudos