Focal statistics coordinate shift

06-16-2017 03:13 AM
JohannaTorppa1
New Contributor

In focal statistics, if the size of the neighbourhood is larger than a specific limit (for example 2 for circular radius), the output raster is shifted by the size of the neighbourhood... Seems like a bug, or is there a way to avoid this? ArcGIS Pro version 1.4.1.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Anne-MarieDubois1
New Contributor II

Hello,

It seems this issue has not been resolved in ArcMap 10.7 . I have applied a radius of 1 pixel with Focal stats on 3 different raster resolutions and I noticed that there is a shift on all my results. I am down to converting the rasters' extent (raw and filtered) to polygons and manually shifting the georeference. This is a SERIOUS waste of time.

Has anyone planned on fixing this?

Kind regards,

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Anne-Marie, I found both these bugs on support.esri.com:

ArcGIS Pro (fixed 2.3) BUG-000106677: Setting a Raster Analysis Mask in the Environment Se.. 

ArcMap 10.7 (not in product plan 6/2019): BUG-000101814: A raster shifts its geographic position when applyin.. 

So it appears the excellent Juan Laguna   may have been incorrect, this was not fixed in 10.7.  We have been warned that bug fixes to the old ArcMap platform are lower priority, all major development is now happening on Pro.

Do you have a vector mask? Worth trying a raster mask (better performance anyway) or no mask and see if you still get the shift. Or you could do it in ArcGIS Pro. I really like the 2.5 version, it has come very far since the early days.

0 Kudos
JuanLaguna
Esri Contributor

Hi Anne-Marie.

I'm sorry you're having trouble with this.  Is it possible you could send me a sample of your data and an exact scenario?  I'd like to try out your scenario here.  I am not able to reproduce a result that has an unexpected shift when I tested with ArcMap 10.7.  If I could get could a snippet of your data with all the settings you are using, I will investigate further.

Thanks,

Juan

Anne-MarieDubois1
New Contributor II

Hi Juan,

I can't seem to understand how to share data on this page. 

But here is what  I was doing.

(extent of my original data)

(tool parameters)

(shaded part is my result)

What I find odd, is that the displacing does not seem to be equal. Here is a view from the opposite side of my raster where it is exactly the same. Somehow, I'm starting to think it has more to do with raster data extension then an actual shift.

0 Kudos
JuanLaguna
Esri Contributor

Hi Anne-Marie.

Thanks for getting back to me. 

Would it be possible for you to create a small zip file that contains a subset of your data that demonstrates the issue, and email it to me?  I am at jlaguna@esri.com

You can also use Esri's file transfer site: https://mft.esri.com/EFTClient/Account/Login.htm 

Download and install FileZilla (if you don't already have it): https://mft.esri.com/eftclient/Account/MFTFilezilla.zip 

Instructions: https://mft.esri.com/eftclient/Account/Instructions.png 

Thanks,

Juan

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Looking at these screen shots, it appears you may be doing some projection on the fly. I do not recommend doing this, as it is hard to control resampling on the fly - it's best to run the Resample tool on inputs (with a Snap Raster used to line things up) before you run Focal Statistics.

0 Kudos
JuanLaguna
Esri Contributor

Hi Curtis. 
Thanks for the the suggestion.  Anne-Marie and I are working on the exact scenario being used, and we'll update here once we get to the bottom of it.

Cheers,

Juan

JuanLaguna
Esri Contributor

Anne-Marie Dubois‌, Curtis Price

Just to respond to the part of the issue about when the fix was available. 

As was noted above, for ArcGIS Pro the Status notification indicates that a fix was implemented, and the Version Fixed was Pro 2.3.

https://support.esri.com/en/bugs/nimbus/QlVHLTAwMDEwNjY3Nw==

Those code changes were also implemented for ArcMap version 10.7.  Unfortunately, this situation seems to have triggered a glitch or synchronization problem in our tracking system, where the Support Site is reporting that the Status is “Not in Current Product Plan”, and the Version Fixed field comes up as blank (even though the fix was actually made).  We will look into rectifying the underlying cause for this, so thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Best regards,

Juan