20041: Neatlines are not supported and were dropped from the layout

Jump to solution
10-12-2017 06:48 AM
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

I am trying to transition to Pro and I did an import of an mxd.  It didn't import my border (neatline) and so I was trying to figure out how to add it back in.  I stumbled across this bug or whatever it is called.  It has a workaround but not a very good one.  I am just wondering why neatlines are not supported in Pro.  I feel a nice border around a map makes it look more professional.  

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi Josh, like you mentioned, there is a workaround noted here: 20041: Neatlines are not supported and were dropped from the layout—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop which is to draw the neatline as a hollow rectangle.

I'm not sure about that second listed workaround of converting the neatline to graphics in ArcMap.  I don't see that as an option (when I have the neatline selected in the layout, Convert To Graphics is grayed out.

convert neatline to graphic

Do you see the same thing?

Anyway, we'll take this as feedback for layouts in Pro, but for trackability and to socialize this, I'd encourage you to submit the request on https://community.esri.com/community/arcgis-ideas?sr=search&searchId=d67bcd9b-cd8f-4ab6-8aeb-7c529dc...

Thank you!

View solution in original post

17 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

What version of ArcGIS Pro are you using?

0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi Josh, like you mentioned, there is a workaround noted here: 20041: Neatlines are not supported and were dropped from the layout—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop which is to draw the neatline as a hollow rectangle.

I'm not sure about that second listed workaround of converting the neatline to graphics in ArcMap.  I don't see that as an option (when I have the neatline selected in the layout, Convert To Graphics is grayed out.

convert neatline to graphic

Do you see the same thing?

Anyway, we'll take this as feedback for layouts in Pro, but for trackability and to socialize this, I'd encourage you to submit the request on https://community.esri.com/community/arcgis-ideas?sr=search&searchId=d67bcd9b-cd8f-4ab6-8aeb-7c529dc...

Thank you!

JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

Kory,

I see the same thing.  I will post this to Ideas.

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
ScottWhite
New Contributor II

Kory.  

For what it's worth, when I was at the User Conference in July, I asked one of the Esri employees in the ArcGIS Pro section of the exhibit hall about the inability to insert a layout frame or "neatline".  He gave me a quizzical look and said something like "You actually do that when you make maps?".  I said "Of course.  It makes the map look finished."  Still with the quizzical look, he said that capability was not in the current release of Pro and recommended that I draw a rectangle.  I left somewhat disappointed and worried about the supposed cartographic improvements in ArcGIS Pro.

- Scott

0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

That was an odd response.  I have always used the neatline, I wonder why the employee didn't think that was a normal function of map making.  I wonder if Esri seems to think we don't actually create maps anymore that are printed out.  Trust me, I still have to print out maps  A LOT!  Webmaps have plenty of good uses but when you are dealing with the public, many times you just have to push print.

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
D_AnneHammond
New Contributor III

The map frame can serve as a neatline.  Click on the map frame to select it, go to Format tab, choose Border from the drop-down at the far left on the Format pane. There you can select from numerous line patterns, colors, widths, etc.

Cheers,

D'

JohannaKraus2
Occasional Contributor

I will play with this a bit more, but it seems much more complicated than the neatline option in arcmap.

JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

I've honestly just made the transition away from Neatlines.  I still don't understand why with all the other layout elements available , that this one isn't but I have managed to make the maps look fine without them.  The map border is a great substitute.  Also make sure you use guidelines since the margins still also don't show up in layout view.

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos