Is the new ArcGIS StoryMap self-hostable?

Jump to solution
12-03-2019 01:14 PM
Kara_Shindle
Occasional Contributor III

I'm thinking the answer to this question is no, but I wanted a solid answer.  I just want to know if you can self-host the new ArcGIS StoryMap (with the Classics, you downloaded the source code and inserted your app ID, so you could give it a custom URL, among other things.)

So far, I have not found a blog, article, question, or source code that gives me this option.  

I tried asking ESRI chat, and they keep giving me links to the self-hosting the classics blogs from 2017, BEFORE ArcGIS StoryMap existed.

Is this an option yet?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Kara -- Not yet, but we are looking at options for that in the future. We don't have an estimate for when that might be available at this time.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

13 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Kara -- Not yet, but we are looking at options for that in the future. We don't have an estimate for when that might be available at this time.

Owen Evans
Kara_Shindle

Great, thanks, that's what I thought.  Thank you for confirming!

0 Kudos
VanessaPocock
New Contributor III

Hi Owen,

I would just like to add that this is also a feature my organization is looking for within the new StoryMap application. It was very useful in the old version.

Vanessa

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Vanessa Pocock‌ and Kara Shindle‌ and anyone else who is interested in this thread...

Could you share the reasons you would like to be able to self-host your stories? This will be helpful as we decide on a timeline and strategy for this capability.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
Kara_Shindle

For my organization, we are a mid-size county and we host the older version of story maps so that we can give them a custom URL, insert Google Analytics, and do any custom coding to tweak colors / themes / styling etc. on the story maps. Because of the nature of our website provider, they cannot do URL re-directs, so we need to be able to assign our own URLs, which is a big reason.

LindsayWithers1
Occasional Contributor

We are in the same boat as Kara; we like the ability to customize the URL of our story maps (but I saw in another post that that functionality might be coming to the new StoryMaps) as well as have a custom favicon. 

Kara_Shindle

I just saw ArcGIS Experience builder and through some (very) minimal research, thought I saw that it could be possible with Experience if you go the developer / desktop route, but I don't think it has as much feature-wise as StoryMaps, and it seemed complicated for someone who doesn't have much experience customizing / developing applications.

0 Kudos
Kara_Shindle

I didn't find that this was an idea so I created one here https://community.esri.com/ideas/18536 

Please vote this or let me know if you find a duplicate and I'll remove it.  Thanks!

OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

All -- Thanks all for the feedback.

For those of you who want to customize the URL of a story, is it just the domain you are looking to customize (so https://myorg.com/stories/abcdefg123456), or is it the entire link (so, the domain and the rest of the URL like https://myorg.com/my-story-map)?

Also, I just wanted to mention that the new ArcGIS StoryMaps has the ability for you to add your Google Analytics key to track info about your stories. For more info, see Measure the traffic your story maps receive with Google Analytics.

Owen Evans