Enterprise Geodatabase (or .sde?) Anatomy

04-03-2020 10:25 AM
SarahRamirez
New Contributor

Hello,

I relatively new to the Enterprise Geodatabase world and was given a bunch of old .sde connection files created in 2013 (Which were created before I got the job, and I am assuming on an older SQL Server).

I was tasked to create a Utility Network using the .sde feature classes, which required an update to a 2016 SQL Server. After updating the SQL Server, Arcpro requires an update to the Geodatabase itself, which is done.

After updating the two, I tried again to create the utility network and now getting the error:

"Error creating database user. [Must be connected as database system admin/superuser to create new geodatabase,user,or tablespace]. "

I cant even edit the feature classes in the .sde (2016) now and am getting the error:

"Table registered as versioned with a different model than the connected version"

I am spinning my wheels and unsure how to even ask or google the right question. Is this due to the SQL server permissions? If so, what permissions do I ask IT for in order to create a new database user? 

Resources on .sde's / Enterprise Geodatabase Administration for beginners (For non-IT folks like me) / Table Versions etc would be greatly appreciated as I cant seem to find much online. 

Thank you!

Sarah Ramirez

Sarahramirez995@gmail.com

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

I'm thinking you should have compressed the database before the upgrade, I'm guessing the delta tables are stored differently? Far from an expert answer. I would definitely seek Esri guidance.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Did you rename the SQL Server DB when it was moved to SQL 2016 or was it an upgrade in place?

What is the user that is being connected as in the .sde file (sde, data owner, etc.)?

--- George T.
SarahRamirez1
New Contributor

I did not compress the database before the upgrade. The SQL Server DB is the same name, it was an upgrade in place.

The user being connected is DBO in the previous file but I was given a new username for the current user, I am wondering if that is the problem (since they aren't the same).

I need specific "IT language Documentation " to bring to my IT department to explain the issue I am facing..

Thanks for the help,
Sarah Ramirez

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Ok, my guess is that everything is owned by "DBO" within the EGDB. The new connection is not a DBO (SYSADMIN fixed server role) user.

Here is the documentation that is needed for SQL Server: Privileges for geodatabases in SQL Server—Help | Documentation 

If all the data is owned by DBO, the only way to get that permission is be a SYSADMIN.

--- George T.
SarahRamirez
New Contributor

Ok, thank you for the help George! I appreciate it.

Thank you,

Sarah Ramirez

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Sarah Ramirez, please change your discussion to a question since it is a question.  And, afterwards, if George's suggestion addresses your issue, remember to come back and mark his reply correct to close out the question.

0 Kudos
CraigSwadner
Occasional Contributor

For us we kept everything the same, however it was a new server install.

Craig Swadner (GIS Coordinator)

City of Cape Coral

1015 Cultural Park Blvd.

Cape Coral, Fl 33990

Did you know the best way to report issues to ITS is to use the Service Desk system? This will ensure someone in ITS gets your request and allows us to track the progress. Please enter all your issues and/or questions by clicking https://breeze.cape.capecoral.net

0 Kudos