File Already Exists (Though It Actually Does Not)

05-20-2019 06:20 AM
NadiaNoori1
New Contributor II

Hello all, 

I keep receiving 'WARNING 000725' that states the data set I am creating already exist and what I make now will overwrite it. However I do not have an existing data set anywhere and all that I create are put in new geo-databases that doesn't have these supposed preexisting data set. I never created these layers before and I get this error almost every time I clip, reclassify or create anything really. 

Why do I keep receiving this warning? 

Thank you, 

Nadia 

14 Replies
ChrisTruty
New Contributor II

I have the same issue. I cannot create a new feature class (ArcGIS Pro v2.5.1) as it says whatever name I pick, it says it already exists.  When I try to compress it says I cannot compress as I get an 'unspecified error.'

file C:\ArcGIS\Geoprocessing\Geoprocessing\Compress\GPCDFFunctions\COM_utils.cpp, line 69: Unspecified error; (code 80004005)
Failed to execute (CompressFileGeodatabaseData).

Thank you

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

These do look like bugs which I recommend reporting.

Two workarounds for you to try:

1. Keep raster names <= 13 characters. A commonality I'm seeing here are long raster names. This has to do with historical limitations in some tools.

2. I have always gotten better raster processing performance (and avoided weirdness) by using file based rasters, that is, esri grid, or these days, .tif, stored in a folder.  I think gdb rasters are great for read but not as good for writing.

ChristianHaugwitz
New Contributor II

I know this is an old thread, but I had the same issue today and the same error message in arcgis 2.6.1 while running polygon to raster.

The reason turned out to be that I had unsaved changes to the Polygon I was converting to Raster.

So after saving all edits I could succesfully convert the polygon to Raster.

So the issue is that ArcGIS has very confusing errormessages, the error message should state that the polygon has pending edits and therefore it cant be converted.

RobynMyers
New Contributor

Hi Nadia,

I am getting the exact same "Warning" in a brand new Geodatabase (no data in it).  I am importing CSV data using the XY Table to Point, and letting ArcGIS Pro set the name of the Output Feature Class - it uses in the Input name 2017_Moja_August05.csv and changes it to c_2017_Moja_August05_XYTableTo Point and THEN flags it with a yellow triangle with an explanation point Warning 000725 - file already exists.  But it adds it just fine, there is only one copy of it, and it works just fine.  So in my case this appears to be a bug.

Good luck!   - Robyn

0 Kudos
stevenlom
New Contributor II

Commenting to say that this issue still persists in ArcPro 3.2.0. I have a raster in the project geodatabase that can be seen when put onto the map (it's a raster extent), deleted from the geodatabase (followed by a refresh) only to return. No rasters can be named in its place and it cannot be overwritten or renamed. I'm at a loss for a solution to get rid of this raster.

0 Kudos