MXD opening-time analysis toolsets

05-28-2020 03:48 PM
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Hello all,

I'm trying to analyse the root cause of some MXD opening time issues, 10.3 - 10.6.

MXDs are lagging at about circa 10 mins for some. I think I've narrowed this down to Oracle SDE connections but it's not entirely my wheelhouse.

1. Any advice on Oracle sde connections being laggy?

2. any script snippets or tools to analyse mxd performance and opening times? ( i'm aware of mxd doctor etc and general normal.mxt resets...)

3. finally I've been trying to see if instantiating a arcpy.mapping.mapdocument and then timing listLayers for the mxd is equivalent or indicative of mxd opening times, and it seems to be a good metric. Any experience of this?

Much obliged

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

When the mxds do finally open after 10 mins of initializing, are any of the Oracle SDE connections broken?

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the reply Michael,

Completely right, I'm testing against connections I currently don't have access to, so have asked others who do so to run a short script to assess this.

Would a connection issue keep stalling the mxd opening as it tries and retries to access the DB?

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Yes it would from my past experience.

When my org moved from 1 SDE version to another on a new server where the old server name no longer existed, ArcMap would try for different lengths of time to access the old database where the times varied from 5 or 10 minutes all the way to an extreme of 40 minutes (I let this one go just to see how long it took even though I was ready to kill the process after 10 minutes).

It would be nice if there was a setting that you could adjust so that you could provide a time to check for connection to SDE before ArcMap decides it is a broken link instead of waiting for ArcMap to take over 10 minutes to determine this itself.

Is the Oracle database just inaccessible to you even though it is still in use, as opposed to my scenario where the Oracle database had been retired?

DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Why was the mxd still trying to connect to an old database?

I currently don't have access to the Oracle DB, but have produced a short script for some colleagues to run (who have access to the DB) and see how long arcpy.mapping.ListLayers takes for each layer in an mxd. I guess I'm wondering if ListLayers is any kind of benchmark for how long an mxd takes to open, aside from all the other factors such as toolbars, extensions, folder connections etc.

It would also be great to understand what goes on under the hood when an mxd is spooling up.

Thanks for your experience Michael.

0 Kudos