Collector crashes on download

03-20-2020 08:04 AM
MKF62
by
Occasional Contributor III

Anybody figure out why you can't use the basemap layer "Imagery Hybrid" in Collector? Whenever I try to download a map with this basemap, Collector on iOS crashes no matter what resolution you're trying to download. If I switch it to just the imagery basemap with no labels, it will download fine. Solution was found per this thread from 2018: https://community.esri.com/thread/213971-collector-crashes-in-ios 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Molly,

Are you still having issues with the app crashing? The imagery hybrid basemap downloads without issue for me.

Have you tried turning on the troubleshooting logs in Collector? These are found under the settings in the app > Troubleshooting. You can return and check the logs after a failure/crash and share them.

Also, please note the app version and what type of device you are using. Thanks!

Regards,

Colin

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos
MKF62
by

This is collector classic so no troubleshooting logs available.

Device is iPhone 11 Pro with lastest software updates. Version of Collector is 19.0.2

0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Molly,

The imagery hybrid basemap contains a vector tile reference layer (for the labeling). Classic does not support vector tiles so my guess is that this is causing the crashing. 

Is there a reason you are still using Classic instead of the current version of Collector?

Regards,

Colin

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos
MKF62
by

Classic allows you to place a point by just tapping on the screen. With Collector you have to click and drag the crosshairs making data collection MUCH slower. We are doing surveys where birds call rapidly, thus speed of collection is important.

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Molly Foley, have you thought about using ArcGIS QuickCapture, if speed of collection is really important for this project? 

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
MKF62
by

I haven't investigated it very thoroughly, but at cursory glance it doesn't appear that it supports related data so unfortunately it wouldn't work for our purposes. I would love to be proven wrong though.

0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Molly,

You can vote up this functionality for the new Collector here: https://community.esri.com/ideas/17381 

Also, as Katherine mentioned, Quick Capture is useful for speedy and simple collections. 

Regards,

Colin

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos
MKF62
by

That's not really what we're looking for though. It's a 1-M relationship between points. The "many" part of that has to start off as a blank slate. It's really a problem of the slowness of placing the points, not filling out the fields.

0 Kudos