sde locks

04-01-2020 06:49 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

SDE Feature classes continue to get schema locks put on them even when no one is in them or have ever even opened them. It's driving me a bit nuts. Has anyone else seen this?

SDE 10.6.1 SQL 2012.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I’m still puzzling through this but it looks like any service that uses a feature class in a dataset puts a lock on every feature class in the dataset. Doesn’t even need to be in the service. Everything in the dataset gets a lock on it.

- Doug

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

That is the expected behavior of feature datasets.

--- George T.
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks. I should have thought of this earlier. It really helps to have some confirmation.

I wonder if there is an easy way to discover just what services are using what feature classes in a dataset? Short of digging through the projects that are publishing services…

(Like many of us I’m working from home now. My only internet option is satellite and the latency makes things pretty tough).

Doug

0 Kudos
ahagopian_coj
Occasional Contributor

Hello!  I know this post is over a year old but I came across it while searching for the answer to our problem. We have an sde setup that every dataset has a lock on it.  I setup a test dataset that absolutely no one is using and has no map services on it. Yet it too has a schema lock on it. What we are finding is that every feature class in sde regardless of map services or not has a lock on it. This means that no one can add fields so I have people exporting the data in sde to shapefiles then working in the shapefiles causing the data in sde to become out of date. Is there a setting or something else I am missing causing every dataset to have a lock on it?  We are at 10.6.1.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Doug:

Do you have a specific business requirement for having feature classes in feature datasets (topology maybe) as opposed to standalone feature classes?

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Yup, "Lock one, lock them all."  This is fundamental property of feature datasets.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you George. That might just be the ticket.

I will look into it later, as things are a bit insane a the moment.

Doug

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Understand and good luck!

--- George T.
0 Kudos