Offline Map Sync Failed - General Error/Illegal State

04-01-2020 08:24 AM
kmsmikrud
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I've had this error occur multiple times now when syncing offline maps and I believe it is related to the settings in the offline map advanced settings. When I change the setting in 'Editable features to 'Device will never download or get updates for features", something is causing the two separate projects/web maps I have to get errors when syncing. I've attached the sync error but all it states is general error -illegal state.

I've now deleted the current offline map and created a new one with the setting enabled above to retry my methods and now I am getting funky behavior that I had happen and posted about earlier (with no response yet). Currently in the offline web map when I submit a feature and then exit out of the feature collection the feature disappears from the map yet is a pending edit just not showing on the map. Is this the expected behavior or a bug? Then when I go to sync the data I get the same general error.

Can someone please help with this error and workflow? What is causing this error? I was told that by selecting "Device will never download or get updates for features" option would allow us to collect features offline, they would show on the map during data collection, but not stay on the map when SYNCED.  People need to see their survey observations on the map and not have them disappear after submitting.

This has been a very frustrating process,

Kathy

2 Replies
JennyMehren
New Contributor

I have a surveyor out in the field with the same error message with the data sync fails "Illegal State".  I have no idea what's wrong.  I would greatly appreciate some troubleshooting advice!

0 Kudos
kmsmikrud
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Jenny Mehren,

Tech support logged a bug #: BUG-000130427:  illegal state error: Originating feature service layer does not support upload synchronization last week.

In viewing the troubleshooting log within the Collector app, it showed a sync error with two layers that are in the app but do not have editing enabled. This is on purpose as reference layers. Feature layers with editing disabled and the c the advanced offline setting configured "device will never download or get updates for features" is causing the illegal state error in our case. I definitely prefer using the last advanced offline setting, but if you use the default offline setting, the data would sync without errors.

Hopefully ESRI fix this bug.

Good Luck!,
Kathy

0 Kudos