Portal 10.7 can't add Scene Layer Package from portal page

06-24-2019 10:49 AM
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Hi - I have been able to add and publish a global scene layer package to ArcGIS online through the 'Add Item' button.  When I try to add the same layer package to Portal at 10.7, the 'Add item' method fails (regardless of browser) with a 'cannot write to file' error, even thought the item is clearly visible in Windows Explorer in my D;\arcgisportal\content\items directory.

I am able to add the package from Pro 2.3.3 using the 'share package' tool.

I am able to add the item using the 1.6.1 API item.add method:

import sys, os, arcpy, time, smtplib
from arcpy import env
from arcgis.gis import GIS
arcpy.SetLogHistory(False)
env.configKeyword= "DEFAULTS"
env.overwriteOutput = True
gis = GIS("https://myportal.scgs.net/portal", "myUserName", "myPassword")
slpkPath = r"V:\SarcoBuildingExtract"
thumbPath = r"V:\IconsImages\pdfIcon.png"
slpkExtent = '-82.580256,26.922512,-82.064256,27.438512'
slpkTypes = '[3D,ArcGIS Pro,ArcGIS Server,Scene,Scene Package,slpk]'
pub_params = '[3DObject,ArcGIS Server,Data,Scene Service,Service,Hosted Service]'

try:
    for item in os.listdir(slpkPath):
    slpkFile = os.path.join(slpkPath, item)
    #print (item)
    if (item == 'PortalFootprintScene.slpk'):
       print (item)
       slpkProperties={'type':'Scene Package','typeKeywords':slpkTypes,
       'title':'PortalBuildingScenePackage2','snippet':'County Builiding Multipatch Features','description':'County Builiding Multipatch Features','tags': 'Planning', 'extent':slpkExtent}
       slpkItem = gis.content.add(item_properties=slpkProperties, data=slpkFile,      thumbnail=thumbPath, folder='SceneLayers')
       print (slpkProperties)

slpkItem.publish(publish_parameters=pub_params,file_type='scenepackage',build_initial_cache=True)
      print ('itemPublihed')

except Exception:
 # If an error occurred, print line number and error message
 import traceback, sys
 tb = sys.exc_info()[2]
 e = sys.exc_info()[1]
 print(e.args[0])
 print ("Line %i" % tb.tb_lineno)
 message = message + "\n" + "Line %i" % tb.tb_lineno
 message = message + "\n" + str(e)‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍

In either case, whether adding the item from the api or from the share package module in Pro, the Publish fails with the API error: 'Cannot determine service type'  even though I am adding the typeKeywords.  In either case, Portal should be able to publish the hosted scene layer whether through the api or through the portal Content tab page.

10 Replies
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

In case anybody is wondering the hosted scene layer can't be created from portal because of some restriction to the Couch Db:

[error] 2019-07-23T19:37:49.051000Z couchdb@SCGGISDS02PW.BCC.SCGOV.LOCAL <0.2402.0> 3f499b58bc rexi_server: from: couchdb@SCGGISDS02PW.BCC.SCGOV.LOCAL(<0.2177.0>) mfa: fabric_rpc:open_shard/2 throw:{unauthorized,<<"You are not authorized to access this db.">>} [{couch_db,open,2,[{file,"src/couch_db.erl"},{line,154}]},{fabric_rpc,open_shard,2,[{file,"src/fabric_rpc.erl"},{line,267}]},{rexi_server,init_p,3,[{file,"src/rexi_server.erl"},{line,140}]}]

something in the arcgiserver service account won't extract from the content directory in portal and create the file in the couch db

0 Kudos
ClintonBallandis1
Occasional Contributor

Hi David,

Did you manage to get this resolved ? 

Thanks,

Clinton

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

No and I've been working non stop on it for like 160 hours.  Something in our security or system environment is preventing the tools from publishing the package to the tile data store.  Or a tile data store bug.  Or a portal bug.  Can't tell.

The couch db log keeps says 'you are not authorized'  I'm working with a consultant, GIS Inc. but we are stuck.

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Still unresolved.  I am able to publish a scene layer package to ArcGIS Online and then access the 3D Scene layer (hosted) layer in portal by collaboration

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

After contacting support, there has been a bug logged about this issue. There is a size threshold dictated by the combination of number of nodes (complex 3d multipatch shapes) and attributes to cache.  In my case for detailed building footprints with roofforms, that appears to be around 10mb.  For another case, the size limitation appears to be around 35mb.  According to support this is scheduled for fix at the 10.8 release, and so I will mark this as 'Assumed answered'.

0 Kudos
HéctorMeléndez
Esri Contributor

Do you have a bug number for this issue? I'm getting the same error in my production environment but in another site with the same version it works.

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

No I don't, I'd have to look it up.  Are you still seeing this at 10.8?

0 Kudos
HéctorMeléndez
Esri Contributor

This on a 10.7.1 site.

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

right so this is supposed to be fixed at 10.8.  When I go here:

https://downloads.esri.com/support/downloads/other_/108-IssuesAddressedList-02132020.pdf 

I see

ArcGIS Data Store

BUG-000123162 Improve ArcGIS Data Store messages and logs.

ENH-000125411 Implement multi-node tile cache data stores.

ENH-000126860 Improve cipher support for tile cache data stores.

ENH-000126861 Add ability to configure multiple backup locations for tile cache data stores.

I think this one addresses the size limit issue:

ENH-000125411 Implement multi-node tile cache data stores.

0 Kudos