Field names text does not wrap when shrinking the size of a pop-up window.

03-18-2020 02:09 PM
AndrewMoskaLee
New Contributor III

Before updating Arc Pro to version 2.5 when reducing the size of a pop-up window, a long field name would have its text wrapped so that it used multiple lines.  This allowed you to see the corresponding data array on the right side of the pop-up with out scrolling over.  Now the text does not wrap, so if you have one very long field name, you have to make the pop-up very wide, or you have to scroll over every time you want to see any of the corresponding data.  Is there a way to turn text wrapping back on for field names in pop-ups?

4 Replies
AndrewMoskaLee
New Contributor III

Can anyone at ESRI explain why this change was made? And does anyone know an easy way to add this functionality back to version 2.5?

The comparison below uses version 2.0 because that was the only older version that I had access to, but the pop-ups behaved the same through version 2.4.  The behavior changed when I updated to 2.5.

Narrow pop-up on arc pro 2.0 showing wrapped text

Narrow pop-up on arc pro 2.0 (text automatically wrapping so you can see fields and data without scrolling)

Wide pop-up on Arc Pro 2.0 (text has space, so it is not wrapped)

Wide pop-up on arc pro 2.0 (fields and data displayed in single line)

Narrow pop-up on arc pro 2.5 (text not wrapping)

Narrow pop-up on arc pro 2.5 (text not wrapping, can't see data without scrolling)

Wide pop-up on arc pro 2.5 (must be this wide in order to see fields and data without scrolling) )

Wide pop-up on arc pro 2.5 (must be this wide in order to see fields and data without scrolling)

0 Kudos
AndrewMoskaLee
New Contributor III

Hi Kory Kramer‌, Can you take a look at my question/issue above concerning pop-ups in Arc Pro 2.5?  If my pop-up issue is not something that you are familiar with, could you point me towards someone else on the Arc Pro team that might have some insight.  Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

Cheers,

-Andy

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi Andrew,

It sounds like you're running into the reason this idea was submitted: ArcGIS Pro Pop Up column width not adjustable I recommend going over there to up vote and include your use case in the comments.  I'm not on the development team, so I can't speak to why the change was made, but I can get the question to them (and they'll review the idea as well).

For now, however, after looking through your screenshots, you might try setting up your fields that you know to contain long text as Text in your pop-ups.

Below, if I don't do anything to configure the pop-up, it uses only the Fields element and I see the unwanted scrolling behavior:

If I reconfigure the pop-up to not show the COMMENTS field, replacing that with a Text element, I get this:

Or, everything could be set up in the Text element, giving you more control over the order.  That would take some initial investment upfront, but would display as you need.  I set up the following in about 3 minutes.

Maybe this helps?

AndrewMoskaLee
New Contributor III

Thank you Kory for your quick response, and thanks for pointing me towards the Idea page.  I had done quite a bit of searching before I created my question, but I had not come across Pamela's question/Idea, as we seem to have used very different terminology to essentially describe the same issue.  I will add my usecase to her idea. and give the idea an upvote.  I appreciate your couple of quick workarounds and they may come in handy as a compromise between a fully tailored pop-up vs leaving things as is.

The reason that I have so many long field names, is that they come directly from Survey123 questions.  And since I deal with many different layers that were created from Survey123, having to individually set up all of the details of formatting each layers pop-up seems overly burdensome.  Especially when the default behavior worked so well for all cases, up until the 2.5 update.

Thanks again for your quick thoughtful response.  It is very much appreciated.