Can I deploy APP with lite license and Runtime Lite license in Google Play?

03-20-2020 06:25 AM
DenisRomanovas
New Contributor II

Hi,

I developed quite basic Android mapping app with ArcGIS Android SDK v.100.6.0. using Runtime Lite license key "runtimelite,1000,xxxxxxxxxxxxx,none,xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx". App works well when developing, but I tried to publish it on Google Play and problems appeared! Google approves my app, everything seems to be ok, but when I download app to my device and run it, app crashes immediatelly! As I understand app crashes on the line ArcGISRuntimeEnvironment.setLicense(...)!

So what is happening here?? Don't you allow to to publish apps with Runtime Lite license key to Google Play?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MarkBaird
Esri Regular Contributor

Denis,

You should not have any issues with this kind of deployment.

Tell me a little more about the app and what it does.  Also when you make an apk in Android Studio and deploy on your device does it work?

Do you have a stack trace I can look at?

And I'm also wondering if you are using R8 obfuscation in your build script?  If you are, let me know as I've got an idea on what the issue could be.

Mark

DenisRomanovas
New Contributor II

Thank you for fast reply!

Yeah, APK was mysteriously broken. Android Studio and Google Play didn't complain about that APK, but it resulted in a crash after install. The most interesting part is that it crashed on a line, related with ArcGISRuntimeEnvironment.setLicense() as I understand. Sadly I can't post stack trace at the moment, but I will try to do it on Monday.

On the other side, I was able to make working APK and it is being reviewed by Google at the moment as I know. I'll let you know if there are problems with it.

I have doubts with license checking, though. I guess you as a company check the license validity on every app init, right? Is it stable (I guess I have encountered failures from your side some months ago resulting in app crashes... Maybe server was down or something)? Is it necessary even with Runtime Lite license?

P. S. No, I am not using R8 obfuscation

0 Kudos
MarkBaird
Esri Regular Contributor

There are no server communications when using the ArcGISRuntimeEnvironment.setLicense method as you are doing.  Apps can work offline completely if all your data is on the device, which is a big benefit over having a web app.  Licence checks are performed on the device.

Let me know if your new APK fixes the issue.

A stack trace would be handy if you can get it if you are still seeing the issue.  

0 Kudos