Create transects along generalized polyline

Jump to solution
03-10-2020 02:35 PM
DaveHunt
New Contributor III

I'm using ArcMap 10.8 Desktop

I have a study region encompassed by a polygon (about 100km around - see attached). 

I converted that to a polyline, generalized and densified it to 1km segments (the light blue is the original polygon, the dark blue is the generalized line). If the line is converted to points (Feature Vertices to Points), it yields 129 points, about ~800m apart, which is about right (some fitting/equalizing occurs during Densify, I guess).

I want to generate 1km transects along this generalized line (short segments perpendicular to and spanning the generalized line, occurring at regular intervals - see my hand-drawn red lines), presumably at the vertices.

Any ideas on how to do this?

There seems to be a tool that will do this with a route, but then my question shifts to "How do I convert this line to a route?"

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
10 Replies
DaveHunt
New Contributor III

Splitting the line is not the problem, I need a method to actually draw the perpendicular segments.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

How about

Generate Transects Along Lines—Data Management toolbox | Documentation 

Ooops, hope ArcMap has that tool, This is from Pro

CPoynter
Occasional Contributor III

Dan I have learnt something new as well then. Wasn't aware of that tool.

0 Kudos
DaveHunt
New Contributor III

I don't seem to have this tool in my Data Management toolbox and doesn't come up with Search.  Any idea why that might be?  ArcMap 10.8 Desktop.

Edit: OK, I think it is an ArcPro feature.  

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Sorry, Dave, I have used Pro for too long I guess.  If it isn't there, might be worth the install

0 Kudos
DaveHunt
New Contributor III

Thanks Dan.  I thought I didn't have license access to ArcGIS Pro but apparently I do, so I am in the process of downloading it. 

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

That's correct.  New capabilities and tools are going into ArcGIS Pro.  Glad you all found the tool which was created exactly for what you're trying to accomplish much easier than the ArcMap workaround outlined in the technical article!

I think that maybe that makes Dan's answer the correct one.  If you agree, please mark it so that it helps other community members!

Thanks everyone!

0 Kudos
CPoynter
Occasional Contributor III
0 Kudos