Sharing Locator to Portal: Where does locator get stored?

02-28-2020 08:20 AM
JoshKalov
New Contributor III

I am new to using Portal and using the new Create Locator ArcPro tools. When using "Share a Locator" it publishes the locator as a hosted service. The Keep your locator up to date doc "Update a locator service" section says to copy the new locator into the correct server folder but does not say how to find the correct server folder. How do I find it?

Thanks

Josh

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Josh:

Is your goal to overwrite or update an existing locator service with as little downtime?

Which version of ArcGIS Pro are you using?

When the locator was shared to portal did you use a data store or was it just copied? The location of the locator depends on whether you used a data store or not.

If a data store was not used the locator can be found here: .GeocodeServer\extracted\v101

-Shana

0 Kudos
JoshKalov
New Contributor III

Hi Shana, 

Thanks for responding.

1. Is your goal to overwrite or update an existing locator service with as little downtime?: I guess that would be the ultimate goal, but some downtime is okay since we could probably schedule a script to run overnight.

2. Which version of ArcGIS Pro are you using?: 2.5

3. When the locator was shared to portal did you use a data store or was it just copied? The location of the locator depends on whether you used a data store or not.: I guess this gets to part of my question. I didn't know there was another option besides copied. The creation documentation doesn't mention anything about using a data store. and the share documentation only talks about sharing it as a hosted service which I assumed meant copied to server and the tool in ArcPro doesn't have a copy or reference data option like sharing a web layer. So if I create the locator in a location that is a registered data store folder, ArcPro/Portal will automatically reference instead of copy it when sharing?

4. If a data store was not used the locator can be found here:  .GeocodeServer\extracted\v101: Thank you

Ultimately I would like to understand what the options are for publishing to portal and updating locators and what is the best practice recommendation for creating and updating them.

Thanks

Josh

0 Kudos
JoshKalov
New Contributor III

Just to follow up, I registered a folder as a data store and copied the locator there before publishing. I think it is now referencing that instead of copying to portal.

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Josh:

Yes, when registering the folder that contains the locator as a data store with the Server, the locator is not copied to the server. When you click the Analyze button on the Share Locator or Publish Geocode Service panes you should not get a warning that the locator will be copied to the server.

0 Kudos
IngridMans
Occasional Contributor II

I've just created a new locator and stored it in the same registered folder where some other  published locators reside. However, the 'analyze' results pre-publish keeps saying locator will be copied to the server, and I can't figure out why to save my life. I'm logged in (I'm and administrator), the folder validates as a registered datastore....what else is there to check? The reference data is in our SDE database that is also registered. 

0 Kudos
IngridMans
Occasional Contributor II

Okay and now as read some more, I'm wondering if this has something to do with our upgrade this year to Portal 10.8 and related items described on this page? --> https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/sharing/overview/manage-registered-data-stores.htm

I still don't understand why a folder previously registered to our hosting server works for a locator storage location....

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Ingrid:

What version of ArcGIS Pro do you have installed?

What version of Enterprise did you upgrade from?

Is ArcGIS Pro and Enterprise Portal installed on the same machine?

-Shana

0 Kudos