Divide polygon at a specified distance by parallel line

01-29-2020 03:10 PM
RodNielson1
New Contributor II

Is there an easy way to split a polygon at a set distance from a boundary using a line parallel to that boundary?

E.g. I have an irregularly shaped field to split at different distances from a field boundary, which parallels the direction of the cropping rows in the field. In the image the field boundaries can be seen which are often not parellel or perpendicular. I need to split the field twice, once at 50m from the eastern boundary and then again 80m from the first split.

It is too difficult, time consumingand probably inaccurate to try to work out proportionality given the shape of the block. And the splits are not the same. The splits are based on the number of crop rows from the eastern boundary, e.g. crop rows are 2m apart and the splits are at 20 rows and then at 40 rows. 

Is there a tool or something, or do I need to keep doing it the hard way? I work in a district with 17470 fields and ~3000 need to be edited each year.  

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Divide a polygon by a value—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

Perhaps with the equal widths option.

PS

This question languished in obscurity because you posted it in the Spatial Analyst‌ which is for raster analysis, Geoprocessing‌ might be more suitable if the above doesn't answer your question and you haven't figured it out yet

0 Kudos
RodNielson1
New Contributor II

Hi Dan,

Equal widths is no good. I have a field with a sugarcane crop. Sugar cane is grown in rows ~1.8 metres apart. I may need to split my polygon based on a number of rows of cane. E.g. 25 rows of a new variety (25 x 1.8).

Cane row widths vary between 1.5 and 2.1 metres, and a cane field may need several splits.

Cheers

Rod Nielson

GIS Officer

Herbert Cane Productivity Services Ltd

E. rnielson@hcpsl.com.au

P. 07 4776 5660

M. 0403 215 594

F. 07 4776 1811

0 Kudos