Area calculation consistency over time for thematic maps

03-10-2020 03:47 PM
JosephGrinnell
New Contributor

Given a large land conservation project that is supposed to be monitored over 100 years and principally uses remote sensing to map and update various thematic classes that change over time with ecological dynamics and land use, I'm trying to understand how changes over this 100 year period in remote sensing datasets and Earth's physical surface (quantified via International Terrestrial Reference Frame (ITRF) versions) could affect the area calculations of the project's large strata.  What tool or methodology would one follow to transform future datums/coordinate systems to the original version used for baseline area calculations, to maintain consistency between calculations as ITRFs change?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Hello,

What tectonic plate or plates is the data on? Are there other forces that would change coordinates like post-glacial rebound, seismic activity, subsidence, etc.? An area of interest in Australia versus New Mexico versus Washington would likely have different answers.

Melita

0 Kudos
JosephGrinnell
New Contributor

Thx Melita Kennedy 

BTW my question is simplified at a project scale because that's the ultimate audience. My group administers a national program of forest conservation projects from Alaska to Florida with baseline maps using the State Plane Projection System. In fact, I should have said 125 years because that's the real program’s required project monitoring period. Basically I’m wondering if this transformation consistency issue and perhaps a recommended methodology need to be included in a project development guidance document we’re trying to complete. Thx for reading!

Joe

0 Kudos