ArcGIS Pro Parcel Fabric Allows Me to Edit Default Database Even Though it is Protected

10-10-2019 02:29 PM
KatherineStaley
New Contributor II

Hi All,

I have successfully upgraded a ArcMap parcel fabric to an ArcGIS Pro parcel fabric for one county in the State of Utah. I have also successfully published the parcel fabric from ArcGIS Pro to my Enterprise. The dataset is registered as branch versioning because I have multiple users that will edit in the parcel fabric. When I add the parcel fabric feature service from my Portal to an ArcGIS Pro project and check the version, the access shows that it is Protected. I am currently using ArcGIS Pro 2.4.1. ArcGIS Pro is allowing me, and other users, to edit Default directly without having to make a version. I was under the assumption that if the Default access was "Protected" that it would not allow editing Default directly. I was expecting to not able to edit and have to create a version. This is not the case. I did open a case a few weeks ago and was told that this was happening because I was a user with the Administrator Role in Enterprise, which makes sense. However, after changing the roles for myself and another user so we don't have an administrator role, the same thing is still happening. I do get a yellow warning in the ArcGIS Pro "List by Editing" pane showing "Edits made to this layer cannot be discarded or undone." I would expect this to say "This layer type is not editable" for all feature classes in the parcel fabric. The only ones that show that error and that I cannot edit directly are the dirty areas, point errors, line errors and polygon errors for the topology. I think I am a bit confused how this is supposed to work. All I want is to prevent other users from accidentally editing Default, but it looks like you can. Does anyone have any ideas what I may be missing or how I should set this up? 

Thank you for the help.

Kate  

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hi Kate!

I don't know if you've come across an answer for this yet, but we recently moved our county to the Pro fabric and had the same issue. In addition to the admin role, I think editing default is enabled for the owner of the item in Portal. Have you tried reassigning ownership to somewone else, then editing as a non-admin?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
MattMoore
New Contributor III

In our case I tested with Portal users that do not own the item (the Feature Service) and yes they can still edit default. These other portal users are publishers only and not portal administrators. 

MattMoore
New Contributor III

I am having the exact same issue against a test environment we setup to test branch versioning. Our environment is 10.6.1 for what its worth. I started a support ticket with ESRI and the support analyst said he is working our issue along with another one someone else submitted to him running 10.7.1. I am hoping to hear back from them in the next few days after they do some internal testing.

For what it is worth when I published my feature service to portal I initially attempted to do so as a user ("giseditor") in the GDB that does not have writes to edit DEFAULT(as it is protected and only the schema owner, "SDE" in our case, should be able to edit DEFAULT). However, Pro through an error when I went to publish the service saying that "Version Management is enabled, but the connected geodatabase user, 'giseditor', is not the branch versioned dataset's owner, 'SDE'. Consequently I had to change that connection to the SDE user and publish my service. The outcome is a Feature Service that lets any user with access to the service edit DEFAULT. Not exactly what we were looking for. Portal users with access to that service can technically create branch versions, so that works, but there is nothing protecting DEFAULT. 

0 Kudos