ArcGIS Pro Tips and Tricks - I share mine, you share yours

12-12-2019 07:32 AM
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

I recently saw a Twitter post (a tweet?) with this ArcGIS Pro tip: Nathan Shephard on Twitter: "Random @ArcGISPro tip - you can click the 'Selected Features' count lab... 

And I thought to myself, "Well, we see these scattered about all over - wouldn't it be cool to find these in one place?"  Wait, somebody must have already done this, right?  So I did what I do with so many questions and I Googled it.  You can do the same, but I figured I'd help by getting you started: Click here to Google "arcgis pro tips and tricks"

Indeed, we do in fact get a number of results.  Like this one by James Sullivan‌ is golden: http://proceedings.esri.com/library/userconf/fed17/papers/fed_10.pdf I love how he calls out "hidden gems" and we see some convergence here with Nathan Shephard‌'s tip from his Twitter post.

Instead of sifting through multiple Google results, and more importantly, to hear from YOU, ArcGIS Pro users in the wild, I wanted to create a place where we can all share our Pro tips and tricks.

I'll kick it off below with another one I learned just this week.  We'll ask around the halls here and continue to post some favorites from the the ArcGIS Pro team, but I want to hear from you.  Please post YOUR Pro tips and tricks.

Thank you for sharing!

Tags (2)
38 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Here was a cool tip posted on Twitter by Carl Churchill

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Perhaps a less sneaky way of doing this is to add a marker symbol layer.  Turn off or remove the stroke symbol layer and now you have a dotted line. This way may give you greater control over dot size, placement and symbology in the end:

Marker symbol layers—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

WOW!  A two-for-one in Aubri Kinghorn‌'s blog Customize your layout gallery (ArcGIS Pro 2.5) 

My favorite:

Subfolder names from the import gallery path location are used as headers in the UI.  Meaning that you can have a folder containing Landscape layouts and another folder containing Portrait layouts, and you see the following in the UI:

Tip #2:

"You may notice that the layout names in the gallery aren’t the same as the file names. The gallery displays the title and thumbnail stored in the layout file’s metadata. You need to edit the metadata directly to update the name or thumbnail in the gallery."

Great tips here.  Thank you for sharing, Aubri!

0 Kudos
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

Finding of the day: Did you know that you can copy/paste domains across gdbs?

First I was frustrated because after importing a standalone table with several defined domains from a local gdb to a sde gdb, it did not take over the domains. But then I was amazed to find out that you can just copy/paste the domains across the gdbs, then you only have to assign them back to the field.

Thanks for the tips shared so far!

HeatherSmith
Esri Contributor

You can access the Properties window or pane of most things by double clicking them in the Contents pane.

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

It's been a minute since anybody shared here, so I thought I'd post.  

TIP: If you're already aware of all of ArcGIS Pro's shortcuts, take a few minutes for a refresher.  If you hadn't already checked them out, take a look to see how to speed up your work.

My favorite today is Ctrl+Tab to quickly choose a View or a Pane to activate!

Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

I'm a bit late in discovering this, but thank you so much for starting this thread, Kory Kramer!

I obviously can't take credit for this one, but wanted to share a link to this post about ArcGIS Pro Ribbon, Toolbar, and UI Hacks. I customized my ribbon in a very similar way that is outlined in the post, and it made navigation much easier for me and really helped ease the transition process between ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro!

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

An oldie but a goodie. Drag/drop folder from Windows file explorer to quickly add a folder connection to your project!

Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

Maybe this is very obvious but I was looking for a way to add a 1000-separator to the numbers in the legend/classification and found that you can add that to the labeling settings inside the advanced symbology: 

Advanced Symbology

And as we are already at these settings: If you want to have the full range displayed in your classification you might have to increase the Sample Size here. The default is only 1000 so it might be that it is missing a part of the range when doing the classification. I was recently wondering why I can't see the maximum values in my classification...

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Here is a fun one, straight from the help: Filter features with definition queries—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

"If multiple layers share definition queries with a common name, even if the content of the queries are not the same, the queries can be activated for the layers simultaneously."