Highway Symbols from DDV Issue in Pro

11-25-2019 08:08 AM
PeteJordan
Occasional Contributor III

I have a set of highway symbols that we use in ArcMap (DDVCO series, especially the DDVco5e).  These show up fine in Arcmap, but when I'm trying to import a map into Pro they give the default characters and not actually the Font used for the highway symbols, despite having the font loaded and is seen in ArcMap the way it should.

I'm also tried to just import the *.style into Pro and that does the same exact thing as importing a *.mxd into Pro with these symbols. 

I know there are a number of older posts on here about this, and the most recent one was still 2 years ago (.style to .stylx confusion (ArcPro)).  I am using 2.4 and for the life of me I can't figure out how to get the symbols *.style to recognize the fonts.

0 Kudos
18 Replies
PeteJordan

Ahh we got hit too (and a snow day as well).  I work for DRCOG downtown Denver.  I've noticed people requesting those Symbols for other states too, so it's a pretty big thing and perfect standard for all sorts of maps.  I just found it odd Pro has it's own font folder.  I wonder if there's a way for someone to edit the *.TTF files to also install them in the Arc Pro's font folder as well.  Much like the ESRI fonts you can download do?

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Not sure why AGP has it's own font folder either.  I suspect the AGP developers have a reason why but I'm not privy to that.

0 Kudos
DominickCisson
Occasional Contributor

Would you or Robert mind sharing that link?  I'm in Colorado as well and have what I think is a complete set of the CO highway symbols, as well as some other DDV fonts that Jim Mossman did back in the day.  It's crazy to think that most of these fonts were created back between 2003 - 2005, and also sad that they have largely disappeared from the Internet entirely.  I know Esri used to keep some of them on what used to be the "ArcScripts" site, but that's long gone too.  I'd like to fill out my collection of these before they disappear forever.

PeteJordan

Dominick: I just Googled any one of the TTF files such as "DDVCO01E.TTF" and found the website, but I just did that now and can't find it anymore.  I figured the original PDF would have a link, but it only shows the email address when searching for that "ddvgis@bresnan.net" I am also unable to pull anything up with the highway symbols, just another pdf with other symbols that are similar, but no web address.

So seems like it's off the web now which sucks.  So hold on to what you have and I'm going to have to do the same here.  Still it's very strange there isn't a standard out there that has all these fonts and such for easy download, or if there is, I am unaware of it...

0 Kudos
AmandaJX
New Contributor

Would you mind sharing your CO highway symbols.

edit: I actually found them down the feed a little.

0 Kudos
PeteJordan

My only guess why it has it's own folder is to keep the Computers Font Folder less cluttered and more manageable or something to have their own.  It's just that of course any fonts downloaded from ESRI will install it there, but older fonts like the Highway ones of course wouldn't have that capability.  Just one of those things people need to realize when trying to use any older Fonts they may have created or downloaded from older or other sources...

SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

Here is the ZIP file for the Washington State symbols. It's not a help for those of you looking for the Colorado ones but maybe others can contribute what they have.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Dominick/Steve/Pete - email me your email addresses to rleclair@esri.com - I have all 50 DDV States.  I downloaded them years ago when ArcScripts and other sites were going down.  They were too good to be lost to the electrons.

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

One of my fellow Esri Instructors found the DDV highway shields on GitHub - 

Enjoy!