how to set up the number of columns for a legend in ArcGIS Pro?

Jump to solution
02-20-2015 02:02 PM
GabrielYarlequé
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I am working in the layout view and I am trying to change the number of columns for my legend.

thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidBarnes
Occasional Contributor III

Sorry, my mistake! I was thinking ArcMap and didn't notice you specified ArcGIS Pro. There aren't column settings in Pro yet. Legends are set to flow for now. You can adjust the legend box by dragging the handles to affect how the columns flow. You will want to make sure the aspect locking is turned off for that. Select the legend, go to the Legend Tools|Format ribbon and make sure the locking icon to the right of the Size & Position stuff is turned off.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DavidBarnes

You can set the number of columns in the wizard when you create the legend. If you want to edit the columns once the legend is created you can open the legend properties dialog, select a legend item and edit whether it starts a new column and how many columns it should use.

0 Kudos
GabrielYarlequé
Occasional Contributor

thanks for your reply..but I am still not clear on how to do it. I already created the legend, opened the legend properties and that´s as far as I got. legend.JPG

0 Kudos
DavidBarnes

Sorry, my mistake! I was thinking ArcMap and didn't notice you specified ArcGIS Pro. There aren't column settings in Pro yet. Legends are set to flow for now. You can adjust the legend box by dragging the handles to affect how the columns flow. You will want to make sure the aspect locking is turned off for that. Select the legend, go to the Legend Tools|Format ribbon and make sure the locking icon to the right of the Size & Position stuff is turned off.

0 Kudos
JiaaoGuo
New Contributor

Hi there,

Not sure if you still need the answer, but I think it can be done by changing the setting in the "Format Legend" - "Fitting Strategy" into "Adjust columns".

Then you can just drag the legend into different shapes, the text will be placed into different columns accordingly.

Hopefully this is helpful!

0 Kudos