IIS Configuration with Web Adaptor

02-21-2020 02:20 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello Community,

I do have a problem setting up ArGIS Portal using the ArcGIS Enterpise 10.7.1 image on Microsoft Azure.

After setting up the VM I start the installation of ArcGIS Server and ArcGIS Portal which both work fine. After the installation of the Portal I get prompted to configure the Web Adaptor. I searched everywhere but could not find any application or setup file to install or configure the Web Adaptor. A colleague of mine did the the same setup half a year ago and he said he did not have to install anything, the configuration wizard started automatically.

Since we had a installation file of the Web Adaptor I tried to install it manually, both for the Server and the Portal which worked fine. BUT the manual installation seems to mess up the IIS configuration and I cannot access the portal under the external domain. When using https://domain/portal or https://domain/server it works. But when using only https://domain I end up on the IIS start page.

The IIS configuration on the working portal of my colleague looks completely different (virtual folders vs. applications in the IIS, different rewrite rules, no installed Web Adaptor installation, but a registered Web Adaptor for Server and Portal).

So my question is: Did the Azure Marketplace image change in the last couple of months? Am I doing something wrong?

Any help is appreciated!

6 Replies
ChrisSmith7
Frequent Contributor

Just double-checking, have you reviewed the documentation on configuring the Web Adaptor with Portal?

Configure ArcGIS Web Adaptor—ArcGIS Web Adaptor (IIS) Installation Guide (10.8) | Documentation for ... 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey Chris,

yes, I have and the manual installation did kind of work. But as I said I was/am confused, because I thought that the Web Adpator is part of the Azure Image.

0 Kudos
ShaneMiles
Esri Contributor

Ben Turrell‌, Have you ever ran into this issue before?

DEWright_CA
Occasional Contributor III

Yes, the VM image in Azure doesn't use the Web-Adaptor; but IIS URL Rewriting in its place. Since the WA configuration requires a variety of settings that make it hard to store in a dynamic and elastic VM image; this makes it easier to setup a machine from the image with less time.

If the Web-Adaptor approach is what you want; then use the ArcGIS Enterprise Builder app that you can download from my.esri.com.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey David,

thanks for the information. I will look into that.

But it is still confusing to me, as to why there is a registered Web Adaptor in the Portal Administration of the Portal my colleague set up. If there is no Web Adaptor installed is it just some kind of dummy registration for the Portal/IIS?

0 Kudos
DEWright_CA
Occasional Contributor III

Hats interesting; I will take a look at my Azure box again and see if there is still a reference even with the URL Rewrite stuff listed.

0 Kudos